This elevated view looking straight up Bank Road can only have been
taken from the upper floors of one of the buildings that used to
be at Park Head (see the link to Crown Square 1901 on the right).
This has to be one only a few images that shows both the tower
on top of 1 Crown Buildings and that of Smedley's hydro. The two
are very similar in design.
The photograph was taken in the last few years of the life
of the Bank Road Tramway, possibly as early as 1923. The shrubbery
outside the Crown Hotel had been cut down by this time and Orme's
had moved into the building over the road, having vacated their
previous shop at Park Head. It is very feint, but you can just
make out the name "Orme's" over
the shop door. Orme's took over the premises, No 1 Crown Buildings,
that had been vacated by the milliners and outfitters R. & M.
Reay. So the building
underwent a change of use, as it had been a drapers / outfitters
since the 1890s.
There was eventually a single storey building on land
behind the Crown Hotel. Herbert Mountney was the licensee of the
Crown Hotel in 1925 and
Harry Leonard of Snitterton Road was the manager of Orme's.
He was still there at the outbreak of the Second World War, by
which time he was 70 years old.
The story behind Orme's move to the shop on the Bank Road / Causeway
Lane corner is quite complicated. In June 1919 Hodgkinson's auctioneers
offered the three Crown Square properties at Park Head - Orme's,
Gessey's (previously Margerrison's) and Arthur Dakin's (previously
Phillips') - for sale on behalf of the trustees of the late Mrs.
The shops were bought by Mr. E. T. Hooley of Risley Hall and Hooley
subsequently sold Orme's to Mr. Stanley Orme of Granby House, Bakewell.
At the time Matlock UDC were hoping to buy all three premises and
had appointed an intermediary to bid for them, so something clearly
went wrong. In the
July the Council issued and served a writ against four parties
involved in the sale, claiming they were the purchasers. They had
hoped to acquire the premises as they wished to widen the street
close to the County Bridge.
In 1921 there was some discussion in a Council meeting when it
was alleged that they were acquiring the most valuable sites in
the town, including Orme's property, and intended to erect premises
on some of it. The allegations, strenuously denied by all but one
of the Councillors, were withdrawn almost immediately.
Before he moved to his new premises at 1 Crown Buildings, Stanley
Orme applied for confirmation of the renewal of his grocer's license.
He had held a license for his Park Head shop for 45 years and the
Derbyshire Licensing Committee sanctioned the removal of the license
from one shop to the other in May 1923. The
new shop, which Mr. Orme's owned, was only 65 yards from his old
premises but was considerably bigger. Matlock Council had "recently" acquired
his existing premises at Park Head and they unanimously passed
a resolution consenting to the removal, which also had the unanimous
approval of the Matlock justices! So
what seems to have been the Council's headache of 1919 and 1921