Here is Bank Road at the very beginning of the twentieth century.
It is a relatively quiet scene, taken from just above the point
where Bank Road is at its widest. A tram can be seen at the bottom
of the slope and there are a few people walking up or down the
hill in addition to the two on the cycle on the left. Published
when Edward VII was on the throne, the postcard dates from between
1901 (when Edward ascended the throne) and 1905. A pointer on
the card is that the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel does not have
a steeple and one was not added to the church until 1905.
On the right
is Yew Tree House, which was a butchers. In 1903, so around the
time this picture was taken, "one
of the most important sales of freehold property held recently
in the Matlock district" took place at the Crown Hotel.
The house had been owned by Job Knowles and the trustees of
his estate decided to sell it, together with some other land nearby.
The sale was in two parts, the first of which was the "stone-built
dwelling with butcher's shop attached known "Yew
Tree House" on Bank Road, Matlock, with gardens, etc.".
Yew Tree House was bought by Mr. Job Smith for £1600, on
behalf of Smedley's Hydro Company whose property adjoined it on
one side. The second lot was building land abutting on New Street;
it was then in the occupation Mr James Wheeldon and was purchased
by Mr. Henry Ball of Nottingham for £635.
Yew Tree House continued as a butchers for many years. Smedley's
first tenant could have been Charles Everett Taylor, a butcher
and farmer. It is not clear quite when he took up residence, but
was living there between 1908 and 1912 with his wife Alice and
The X on the picture next to the clump of trees on the top of
Masson was where the card's sender, Georges Houstier, had been
to enjoy the view. "Une vue magnifique".
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this web
 Waite, Glynn (2012) "The
Matlock Cable Tramway", Pynot Publishing. ISBN 9780956270658.
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
1 August 1903. Yew Tree House and its gardens covered 2a. 2r. 4p. of
land. The second plot that abutted on to New Street was 1a. 2r.
4p. in size. Matlock,
Riber & Starkholmes Newspaper
Cuttings, 1903 has the full report.
 Presumably Charles Taylor rented or leased
the property from Smedley's. He was living on Smedley Street in the
1901 census. He advertised in Kelly's
Directory, 1908 and Kelly's Directory, 1912, when he was living
at Yew Tree House.