This lovely Edwardian coloured card is of Matlock's stone bridge
over the River Derwent, shortly after it was widened in 1903/4.
The stonework looks new and it is interesting to see the low
wall curving round in front of the shop on the far right of
the card. Pictures of the mediaeval bridge before it was widened
show that there were neither pavements nor quoins so that people
could view the river,
so crossing the bridge would not have been easy for those on
foot if a horse and cart went past.
Just beyond the bridge is Crown Square and there were then shops
on both sides of the road on that side of the bridge. Those
on the right, at the Parkhead, were demolished during the 1920's
with work commencing in February 1926.
A large brown sign advertising R. Orme & Co., Family Grocers,
Wine & Spirit Merchants can be seen on the end building
closest to the bridge (on its right). Orme's eventually moved
to the shop opposite the [former] Crown Hotel, on the corner of Crown
Square and Bank Road but is no longer in Matlock. You can just make
out the shape of one of the trams in Crown Square.
Immediately to the left of the tram, if you look hard, is the very
edge of a building. This was the covered side entrance way of the
Crown Hotel, which projected out over the pavement of Bank Road.
The tram shelter is also in the Square; it is almost merged with
the heads of the two people who are standing in the middle of the
bridge. There are trees shown on both sides of the bottom of Bank
Road. There are also two signs on the premises on the left hand side
of the bridge. The one on the building closest to the bridge, just
below its roof, reads Boot Mercer and further along is some white
lettering that belongs to a Boot Warehouse.
In the foreground on the left can be seen the wrought iron gates
of what is now a bank. The gates were replaced and the entrance
way was redesigned when Williams Deacon's Matlock branch acquired
the rather grand portico gateway in 1920.
Colin Goodwyn comments that the telegraph pole really is a monster,
for it must go down behind the wall to the garden!