Here is Matlock Bank in the second decade of the twentieth century,
with part of Matlock Bridge; Dale Road (bottom left) and the
houses in Derwent Avenue (bottom right) are in the foreground.
Probably dating from about 1914, the picture shows the Hall
Leys as a recreational area but Causeway Lane has not been
"The Urban District Council in 1903-4
opened up the Pictor Promenade and other river walks and constructed
an asphalt promenade, a quarter of a mile long, on the Hall Lees,
near the bridge. In 1907 the Bakewell road, near Crown square,
was widened and in 1908 a provisional agreement was entered into
for the acquisition of 7¾ acres of land, known as "Hall
adjacent to the river promenade, which have been laid out as
recreation grounds. In the same year, three shelters were erected
at interesting spots in the neighbourhood by Councillor J. W.
Wildgoose for the use of the public".
The asphalt promenade can be seen on the edge of the park. It is
today known as the Broad Walk.
On the far left (centre) of the postcard are a few houses on Imperial
Road, with Wolley Road and Malpas Road also visible. Some houses
on Edge Road, close to Bank Road, can be seen, too. Smedley Street
goes across the hillside with Smedley's Hydro, and its distinctive
central tower, clearly dominant on the Bank. Above it, though less
obvious, is the refurbished Rockside. On the far side of the park,
behind the garden of "The
almost in the middle of the picture, are
Lime Grove Walk and New Street. Because of the angle, this picture
makes Rutland Street seem an extension of New Street.
Derwent Avenue, from left to right: Brooklyn, Nether Green,
Glenroy and Rockleigh.
The Derwent Avenue properties, shown in the enlargement above, were
built as substantial semi detached family homes, with gardens that
went down to the river. Glenroy and Rockleigh were Victorian villas,
built around 1882
and at various stages in the early years some of their occupants
were members of one family, the Nuttalls (see below).
Anne Nuttall, the widow
of John Nuttall, passed away at Rockleigh on 24 July 1888.
There then followed several different tenants over the course
of the next ten years or so, including George Westcombe (1891), Thomas
Geldart (1895) and Joseph Flint (1899).
By 1901 another member of the Nuttall family, Annie Bell Sladen,
was in residence with her husband Joseph and their son. The Sladens
remained at Rockleigh until at least 1923, the year Joseph died.
Although he was by then 76 he was employed in the Education Department
at the County Offices in Derby as a clerk. He died in Derby, unfortunately
collapsing in a tramcar bound for the station shortly before ten
o'clock one evening.
Mr. G. W. WRIGHT, Estate Agent, Matlock Town,
HAS TO LET and ON SALE the following PROPERTIES:-
To Let GLENHOLME, 5 minutes' walk of the Station, containing
entrance-hall, 2 reception and 6 bedrooms, fitted with Venetian
blinds, bath, w.c. and usual out-offices.
Also GLENROY, 3 reception and 6 bedrooms, bath, do., w.c.,
capital kitchen and offices, good garden, gas and water.
Glenroy, or Glen Roy, along
with Glenholme on Dale Road, was first advertised in 1882 and 1883.
The first occupants were John Stockdale
Dawber and his wife,
the parents of the architect Sir Edward Guy Dawber.
After her husband died Mrs. Dawber went to live in Huddersfield
with her daughter
and Miss Agnes Hodgkinson then moved into the property along with
her niece Kitty Ada Frances. Kitty continued to live at Glenroy
for a couple of years following her aunt's death.
However, in 1912 and 1913 the local architect John Nuttall was advertising
Glenroy as being in an "ideal position, very conveniently
situated, five minutes from station, nine rooms, every convenience:
nice garden down to river; rent £35".
John was the son of Anne Nuttall and it was his sister, Mrs. Sarah
Statham, who moved in.
Sarah was the widow of Luke Statham, who had been the organist at
St. Giles' for 18 years and was one of the founders of Messrs. Statham
and Sladen, the coal merchants[12.
This meant that the two sisters were living in next door to each
The other two houses in Derwent Avenue, Brooklyn and Nether Green,
were built after 1911; they are not in the census for that year,
so were built between 1912 and 1914. Benjamin Bolas was at Nether
Green by 1916.
Brooklyn was owned by Walter Evans of W. H. Evans, the Dale Road
jewellers, and the Davisons lived there for a long time.
Whilst Brooklyn and Nether Green have still retained their names
(2016), both Glenroy and Rockleigh became guest houses and have changed
|References (coloured links are to transcripts and information
elsewhere on this web site):
 Kelly's Derbyshire Directory, 1912.
Times", 28 October 1882.
 "Derby Mercury",
1 August 1888. Nuttall (Deaths). Mrs. Nuttall was also shown living
at Rockleigh in Kelly's Directory 1887. She and her family were
involved in The
Great Matlock Will Case.
 George Westcome was at Rockleigh
in the 1891 census | Kelly's
Thomas Geldart was shown living there in Kelly's
Joseph Flint was the householder listed in Kelly's
 Joseph Sladen was shown at Rockleigh
in the 1901
census | Kelly's
1908 Directory | Kelly's
1912 Directory | Kelly's
1916 Directory. His death was reported in the "Derby
Daily Telegraph" on 29 May 1923 (Matlock Clerk's Death
 John Stockdale Dawber can be found
at Glenroy or Glen Roy in: Kelly's Directory 1887 (no address
given) | the
1891 census | Kelly's
1891 Directory | Kelly's
1895 Directory. He died at Matlock on 7 Feb 1898 (Morning
Post, 11 February 1898 and other newspapers). Also
family Memorial Inscriptions
 A brief outline of the life of Sir
Guy Dawber can be founder under Biographies.
He designed St.
John's Church, Cliff Road and Cottages,
Matlock Dale, 1899
 "Derbyshire Times",
4 March 1899: Glenroy Villa, Dale Road. Joseph Hodgkinson instructed
by Mrs. Dawber to sell by auction all her
surplus furniture on Thurs 9th Mar 1899. She was living in Huddersfield
in the 1901 census.
 The Misses Hodgkinson were shown at
Glenroy in Kelly's
1899 Directory | the
1901 census | Kelly's
Agnes Hodgkinson was buried at St. Giles' on 3 Jun 1909, aged 78.
Kitty Ada Frances Hodgkinson, the niece of Agnes, was still living
at Glenroy in the 1911 census but it is unclear where she went to
after that. The last time she was mentioned in a newspaper was in
Evening Post", 2 April 1929).
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
7 February 1912 and 14 March 1913. GLENROY— VILLA RESIDENCE to
 Mrs. Statham was listed in Kelly's
1916 Directory. She was living
in Matlock in 1891, but moved to Derby with her family. She had
been widowed in 1899, but by 1911 she had returned to the district
and was living with her brother and sister in law in Matlock Bath.
 "Derbyshire Times",
11 February 1933. Death of Mrs. Statham. Also "Derbyshire
Times", 18 February 1933, burial in the family vault.
 Mr. Bolas at Nether Green in Kelly's
Directory, 1916 - Private Residents
 Information from Anne Davison.