Image 1 (above)
Basquil & Co. were tailors & breeches makers, ladies' costume & habit
makers, with a shop at Buxton House next to Hunter's on Dale Road
in 1908. They advertised in Kelly's Directory for that year.
Mr Basquil, who was born in Leeds to Irish parents, was living with
his family in Stockport in 1881. He married
Sarah Jane Spencer at Bury Register Office in 1889 and by 1891 they
had moved to Pilgrim Street in Sheffield where William was employed
as a tailor's assistant. The Basquils were living in Matlock in
had been in the town since approximately 1897.
In 1905 Mr. Basquil had rescued a boy called Ernest Holmes from
drowning in the Derwent, despite being unable to swim. He was
presented with an with award of the Royal Humane Society for bravery
at Matlock Police Court.
The Basquil family later emigrated to Australia.
Image 2 (above)
The Crown Hotel in 1910 was "replete with every modern convenience
for visitors and commercials". There was a motor garage and
inspection pit. It was then still a relatively new building. Although
a Crown Inn had been in Matlock for many years, the Crown Hotel
did not move to the newly built premises on the corner of Bank
Road until 1883, when Mr. Peglar was the licensee. William Tanzer,
from Long Eaton, was the proprietor in 1910 and had previously
advertised in Kelly's (1908) Directory.
He was still there in 1916.
The stables and gardens are long gone but the building, now Crown
Buildings, is still unmistakable. The Crown, now a free house,
has moved a few yards back down Bakewell Road to what was Furniss's
and later Allen's garage.
of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (1) (scroll down the section)
Image 3 and 4 (above and below)
In 1910 Hall and Co., Engineers, Matlock had a 'full stock of
accessories for Motor Cars, Cycles., etc.' They advertised that
'Repairs of every kind executed by Skilled Mechanic'. The company
was founded in 1886 by Robert Hall who was
head of the company for many years. Jack Massey as
their sole employee and was still there in forty-two years later.
By then the company had a regular staff
of about 50 men and a range of departments: heating, electrical
and water engineers, plumbers and gas fitters, decorators, general
ironmongery and tinsmiths who competed for and won large projects
in various parts of the country. Repairs for many of Matlock's
hydros were carried out in their smiths' sheds. It was acquired
about 1925 by Mr. F. Wildgoose.
of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (2)
links are to transcripts and information elsewhere on this web
 See Basquil's entry in Kelly's
Directory 1908. He also advertised in Kelly's
 The family can be found living on Dale
Road in the 1901 census. They
left Matlock before the 1911 census.
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
5 June 1905. The boy's father was Walter Holmes.
 See: Kelly's
Directory, 1908 | Kelly's
Directory, 1912 | Kelly's
Directory, 1916. Joseph Tummon had been the hotel proprietor before
then. He can be found in Kelly's
Directory, 1899 and the 1901
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 29 September 1928.