The membership cards for the Primitive Methodist Church on Bank
Road shown here were given to two of the Lill sisters, Edith and
Annie. Edith's card dates from 1902, whilst Annie's was for 1910.
The family lived on New Street, having moved to Matlock in the
One of Edith and Annie's brothers, Charles William, joined Matlock
Bank Primitive Methodist Church "Young Mens' Class" and
belonged to the Matlock Primitive Methodist Prize Choir.
Another brother, Sydney, was killed in the First World War. Edith
lost her husband in that war, too; she had married
James Elston Slater at the church in 1907.
The marriage of Annie to Bertram Crawford Wild in 1915 also
took place at the church. Annie's death was recorded in a church
magazine a few years later.
These cards, which were signed by John Burton who was the Minister
at the time, reveal
a little about the history of the Primitive Methodist movement.
After breaking away from the Wesleyan Church they held their first
Camp Meeting in 1807 and formed their first class in 1810.