In the late 1870s the Wesleyan
Chapel on Snitterton Road (Smithy Lane), built in 1840,
was to be replaced by a larger an more up-to-date church on Matlock
Bank (Matlock Bridge on the drawings) and this design for the proposed
new chapel was published in "The British Architect" on
28th February 1879. The Bank Road church opened for worship in
1882. The image above shows the whole design and each section is
enlarged below, presented as top row left to right (two drawings)
followed by bottom row left to right (three drawings).
Plan of chapel (top row, left)
The church was designed with frontages on both Oak Road and Bank
Road, with Oak Road where the words "Plan for Chapel" are in
the above drawing. Bank Road is on the right hand side of the
The body of the chapel was to consist of a nave with two transepts
close to the area of the communion table, pulpit and font. The
seating was to include several hinged seats, to allow for additional
worshippers. At the north west end was a passage between the seats
that lead to an ante room and porch, with steps down. A Minister's
Vestry, with its own toilet (water closet and lavatory) was planned
for the area behind the altar/communion table and to the side was
a door leading to steps up to a choir gallery and steps down to
the schoolroom. Bottom right on the plan is a circle with the word
Manchester inside it; the architects for this plan came from Manchester.
Design for the proposed new Wesleyan Chapel : Matlock Bridge (top
Richardson and Baldwin Architects, Manchester.
Plan of School Below Chapel (bottom row, left).
The girls entrance was in the south
east corner, whilst the boys were to enter the schoolroom from
the north west.
Transverse section (bottom row, centre).
The transverse section
shows the school room beneath the area designated for worship.
Longitudinal Section (bottom row, right).
The lower floor was to be made up of, from the left on the Longitudinal
Section: a Deacon's Vestry, a Heating Chamber and the School Room,
some 12 feet in height between the floor and the floor above it.
The ground floor included, from the left on the Longitudinal
Section: a Minister's Vestry
with an Organ and choir stalls above it and the main body of the
church. This was 25 feet high from floor to ceiling.
Above the church was an area for ventilation, topped by a ventilation
The two architects were
William Richardson and
his partner William Wallis Baldwin,
both of whom were lodging in Chorlton upon Medlock at the
time of the 1881 census.