The design for the new porch and tower of the Wesleyan Methodist Church
at Matlock Bridge was published in "The Building News"
on 23 Feb 1906. The architect was Horace George Hayden Bradley,
a young architect from Wolverhampton.
The black outlines on the floor plan below denote the original
building and the greyish/mottled lines indicate the 1906 additions.
A Ladies' Room with a vestry underneath was to be added to the
south east corner, with access from the entrance on the north east
corner on Oak Road via a new corridor. The main entrance was to
be through the porch attached to the Tower entrance on the north
west corner. The original church had not included a spire, but
one was now added to the top of the new tower.
Enlargement of plan.
In the same year both ministers changed. John Woollerton moved to
Hinkley and was replaced by a new superintendent, George Harbottle,
who moved from Dunstable where he had been for four years. "He
dated from 1871". The local paper stated that "This is
an exceptionally good appointment to Matlock", although it is
unclear whether it was a good move for Rev. Harbottle personally
or that Matlock itself would benefit. The other minister appointed
was Harry G. Tunnicliffe, B.A., a junior minister from the training
The month of August saw an annual exodus of Wesleyan Methodist Ministers
and in 1906 some 800 ministers and their families moved to new circuits
in readiness for worship on the following Sunday. It was estimated
that £12,000 was spent annually on these removals. A Methodist
conference not long before had appointed a committee to see if
the outlay was justified.
Matlock Wesleyan Chapel on Bank Road became the Trinity Methodist
Church and is now known as Matlock
Methodist and United Reformed Church.