Images Index> Matlock, 20th and 21stC Images> This page
Matlock: Memorial Cards for Internments at St. Giles' & elsewhere (3)
Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 


Here are a small collection of 24 memorial cards dating from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century with the earliest dated 1889 and the most recent from 1925. They are mostly for St. Giles' burials, but a few of those commemorated in this way were interred at St. Helen's Church, Darley Dale and there is one person who was buried at Lea. In these cases they or their relatives were from Matlock originally, or had lived in the town for many years.

The cards shown here were mostly folding cards, approximately 3" x 4" in size, with the fold on the left and the opening on the right, though some opened outwards from the centre; there is just one example of this design in the collection. A suitable religious picture and text was on the front, usually surrounded by a black border and enclosed ins another border of a silvery grey (or vice versa). The card opened onto a double page with a short verse or quotation on the left and the name of the deceased and details of their death and burial on the right. This section often also stated the deceased was "the beloved wife/ husband of " or "child/son/daughter of". The backs were blank although there was sometimes a printer's number.

There are also a few that were single cards with no picture; these also had plain backs.

The cards would have been sent to friends, relatives and acquaintances by the bereaved family after the funeral had taken place - the burials are all referred to in the past tense. The card's white envelope with its black border, often thick, would have been unmistakable when it dropped through the letterbox. The main printers in Matlock from 1900 to 1916 were George Hodgkinson of Holt Lane and Henry Roberts of Crown Square.


  In this series of images are:
Surnames A-B | Surnames C | Surnames D-R (this page) | Surnames S-W

20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock
General Info
About Matlock
Churches & Chapels
Memorial Inscriptions
Find a Name


Allen memorial card



Surnames D - R
Names on this page, presented alphabetically:
Ethel May Davis | Hannah Derbyshire
Samuel Fox | Ann Hursthouse | Samuel Hursthouse
Jane Ridley

The images are almost all shown in the following order:
the front;
the deceased's details;
the verse or quotation, where given.
This is followed a little information about the person commemorated on the card.


Ethel May Davis
Folding memorial card with black borders, surrounded by a silver edging.
Ethel May, nee Bates, was the first wife of George Davis of Poplar Cottage (later Chatsworth Hydro). The couple were married at All Saints' in February 1891. She was born at Burton on Trent in 1870, the daughter of Edwin and Elizabeth Bates; Edwin was a grocer. In the 1871 census she was shown living in Crich with her mother Elizabeth and widowed grandmother Ann Saxton (Ann was the widow of John Walker Saxton). Ethel May was christened at Crich on 26 Dec 1870, the church where her parents had married on 25 January the same year.
Ethel and George Davis can be found in the 1891 census. Ethel May was buried at St. Giles' on 25 Mar 1895.

Hannah Derbyshire
Folding memorial card with black borders, surrounded by a silver edging.
Hannah Derbyshire was born Hannah Wildgoose and christened at St. Giles in May 1822.
This entry in the 1841 census could be Hannah.
Her first marriage was to Samuel Fox of Matlock Bank and took place in the Parish Church on 24 December 1843. Her father, Anthony, was already deceased. She was widowed by the 1851 census.
Her second marriage was to George Goodlad on 19 November 1853, again at St. Giles'. "At Matlock Church, on the 19th inst., by the Rev W R Melville, M A, Mr George Goodlad, of Matlock Bank to Mrs Hannah Fox, of the same place" (Derby Mercury, 30 Nov 1853). The Goodlads and the Fox children can be found in the 1861 census. George died in 1863.
Hannah's third and final husband was Joseph Derbyshire whom she married at at St Mary's, Nottingham on 5 Oct 1865. The Derbyshires can be found in the 1871 census. Joseph died in 1878.
Hannah then lived with her son from her first marriage. See the 1881 census | the 1891 census

She was grandmother of James and William Bannister and mother of Samuel Fox, below.

Samuel Fox
Memorial card opening from the centre with black borders, surrounded by a silver edging.
Samuel Fox was the son of Samuel Fox and his wife Ann (Hannah, nee Wildgoose) of Matlock Bank. Samuel junior was christened at St. Giles in October 1845.
He was the son of Hannah Derbyshire, above, by her first husband and uncle to James and William Bannister (see Memorial cards (1) ).
He can be found in Matlock in the 1851 census | the 1861 census | the 1881 census | the 1891 census. In 1901 he was living with his brother William at Poor Lots in Tansley and working as a Quarry Foreman. In 1911 he was still in Tansley.

Ann Hursthouse
Memorial card opening from the centre with silver and black borders,
surrounded by a silver edging.
Ann Hursthouse, nee Cooper, was born in Matlock. She was a daughter of John and Mary Cooper of Matlock Bank and was christened at St. Giles' on 5 Aug 1832.
She was living with her parents in the 1841 census | the 1851 census but does not seem to be listed in 1861.
She married Samuel Hursthouse at St. Giles' on 15 May 1864. They were living in Tansley in 1871.
She and Samuel were living on Lime Tree Lane in the 1881 census | the 1891 census.

Samuel Hursthouse
Folding memorial card
Samuel Hursthouse was christened at St. Giles in September 1840. He was living with his parents Samuel and Mary on Matlock Bank as a 9 month old baby in the 1841 census. He was still at home in the 1851 census | the 1861 census.
He married Ann Cooper at St. Giles' on 15 May 1864 (see above). They were in Tansley in 1871.
He and Ann were living on Lime Tree Lane in the 1881 census | the 1891 census.


Jane Ridley
Folding memorial card with black borders, surrounded by a silver edging.
Jane Ridley lived at Lea for all of her married life.
She was christened at St. Giles' in April 1835 and was the daughter of John and Mary Cooper who then lived at Riber.
She was living with her parents in the 1841 census | the 1851 census
She married George Ridley at Holloway Reform Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in 1856.
She can also be found in the Matlock Strays, Surname R
 

Burials took place at:

Church
Old Matlock

Church & Green

Church interior
 

Memorial cards in the collection of, provided by and © Tony Curnock and his wife Lesley, from their collection of funeral ephemera.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.