Crown Square, with its tram shelter and one of the tramcars, in the
days of horse drawn vehicles. Only one shop sign is readable, that
of Chadwin Thompson whose signboard for his blacksmith's juts out
over the the archway behind the shelter. The premises were later
used by Hand's as a Booking Hall.
Although it is difficult to be precise, because the census enumerator
seems to have crossed the road instead of walking down one side
and then back along the other, the 1911 census provides us with
the names of the shopkeepers.
Fortunately most of the proprietors lived over their businesses
and not one of the buildings was just a lock up shop. Between the
Railway Hotel (roughly centre, above the horse and cart, where
a white sign is on the wall) and the County Bridge there were two
Clubs and and two private houses as well as (from the right): William
Pride's greengrocers - he described himself as a flower, fruit
and game dealer; Mr. W. H. M. Mottershead's boot and shoe shop;
John Charles Goodall's stationer's and fancy [goods] shop; Addy's
confectioners, though Mr. William Addy worked as a coach builder
in 1911; and Thomas Caton Kirkham's boot and shoe shop. Kirkham's
was next to the bridge, so several of these businesses were either
not in the photograph or were hidden behind the shelter.
The photograph would have been taken from outside Burgon's, a general