For many years Burgons grocery store occupied the mock Tudor building
on the corner of Causeway Lane and Crown Square (opposite Orme's).
Burgons had arrived in Matlock at the beginning of the twentieth
They had branches throughout the Midlands and in 1912 their
Derbyshire branches were at Bakewell, Buxton and in Crown Square.
Another business, Burgon and Son, was trading at Norton.
Burgons stores used the logo of a black elephant for their own
brands and a black elephant symbol can still be seen on the back
of the building today.
Most of the views of Crown Square have been taken from the bridge
looking towards Matlock Bank, whereas this photo was taken from
Bakewell Road looking towards Hall Leys Park and the Riber
hillside. The small gardens in front of the Crown Hotel seem to
have been removed by the time the picture was taken. The painting
and decorating firm of C. J. Else & Co. Ltd. was on the opposite
side of the road.
Zebra crossings had been brought in as a safety measure in October
1951, but it was found that although they were easy to see in the
summer, they were not bright enough for the motorists to see on
dark and wet nights. The following year a flashing Belisha Beacon
was introduced as a warning signal to cut down on the accidents.
The zebra crossings on the picture indicate that the original photograph
was probably taken about 1952.
The pre war lamp post was still in the middle of the traffic island
but was about to be replaced.
1930s advertisement for Burgons
in Kelly's Directory of 1908
in Kelly's Directory of 1912
in Kelly's Directory of 1916