Another tranquil scene showing the Railway Bridge, built in the 1840s
for what was then the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock & Ambergate
railway, with High Tor in the background. We can only see the
two arches spanning the river and a third, smaller, archway on
the left underneath which the Pic Tor footpath passes. Behind
and to the side of the Bridge is the Boat House Hotel and other
properties along Dale Road. The building that is reflected in
the river was demolished some time ago. The quarry behind the
bridge on the right is the
Harvey Dale Quarry.
Out of the picture (to the right) the bridge spans the main road
and is no longer arched, although it has stone sides. In the 1930s
the Council implemented a scheme to widen what was a then narrow
section of the London-Carlisle A6 trunk road, between the railway
bridge and Matlock Bath Station approach, 1,400 yards to the south.
The idea had first been suggested some twenty years previously.
The new carriageway was to be 30 feet wide, but had to be narrowed
where it passed under the bridge to 25 feet, which was the maximum
links go to on site transcripts):
 "Derby Daily
Friday 29 November 1935. Work began in February 1936 and was expected
to take two years to complete.
 Francis Scarratt was listed as a
Stationer in the 1911 census and in Kelly's
Directory 1912 he was a post card publisher, both in the Market
Hall and of Normanton Road.