This early Edwardian view of Dale Road is still easily recognisable
today, with the turrets of the Olde Englishe and what was Hunter's
shop in the distance in the centre of the picture. The female
in the green skirt and white blouse on the right is crossing
the road outside what was the Queen's Head. The building next
but one to the hotel, though not quite the same as today, is
the old Market Hall (see link on the right).
The first shop on the left, on the corner
opposite what was then the entrance to the station, was a watchmakers.
Henry Barnwell, whose name is painted above his shop doorway, had
moved to Matlock from Warwickshire and founded the family business
in Matlock Bridge 1876.
The shop named after him was still advertising in the trades directories
as selling jewellery, watches and china in 1916,
though the premises became a bank shortly afterwards (see below).
It is difficult to tell what Barnwells was selling in the left
hand shop window; the items could be china ornaments and figurines.
Down the right hand side of the doorway is a display of postcards
of local views.
After Henry's sudden death on 16 April 1887 at the age of 48 his
widow, Hannah (nee Ludlam), who was his second wife, took over
the watchmakers business but she did not survive her husband
for long and died on 7 November 1889. Henry's son, Harry William
Barnwell (1 Jan 1886-1949), then ran the business.
The Barnwells were members of the Matlock United Reformed Church.
Harry William also married twice; his first marriage was in 1890
to Ann Ludlam and, following her death in 1906, he went on to
marry Eliza Ludlam in 1907. Both marriages took place at Matlock
Bank's Congregational Chapel.
In late 1913 the London City and Midland Bank announced
that they were to open branch at Matlock.They had purchased Barnwell's
shop and it was planned that the premises
would be pulled down and entirely rebuilt. Mr. Barnwell was understood
to be planning to give up possession the following summer and in
the interim the Bank leased the old Post Office building on Snitterton
Road/Holt Lane for two years, until their new premises were completed.
At Christmas in 1913 the Bank announced that their Matlock branch
had opened in its temporary accommodation pending the completion
of the permanent office at Dale Road.
Mr. Barnwell and the Bank were trading on Dale Road in 1916.
The bank's first manager, appointed at the end of 1913, was Mr.
William Henry Worthington but
by 1928 Albert Edward Needham, who lived on Imperial Road, was
the manager of the Midland Bank. This
is the HSBC today. Harry Barnwell moved away; he was still repairing clocks part time in