Although none of the shops display sign boards, the proprietors of
some of the shops on Dale Road at the time this photograph was
taken are known.
The first shop on the right, with the young boy outside it and with
paintings displayed on the walls inside the window, was the studio
of the artist and photographer William Nathan Statham.
Attracting considerably more attention from passers by was Gessey's
confectionery next door. The family had arrived in Matlock before
the 1901 census and Mr. Gessey senior opened a confectioners on Smedley
Street. His son, Walter Ernest, ran the Dale Road shop. It might
even be Mr. Gessey junior standing in the shop doorway, observing
the women and children.
The third shop along was Holmes' furniture shop; Walter Holmes was
a skilled cabinet maker. At first we thought there was a name
above the shop's window but closer examination is disappointing
as the viewer can only see the shadow made by the supports underneath
the bay window.
Fourth along was the drapery of Elizabeth Eaton, with Kirkland's
plumbers next and then the premises of Freeman Rice, a grocer and
provision dealer. Then was was Goodson's Chemist's, next door
to Evans' jewellers (where the clock is). All these shopkeepers lived
above their shop premises.
At the corner, outside Hunter's, is a delivery dray with a single
barrel on it, but it is unclear what is being delivered.