This early twentieth century postcard of Dale Road shows the Old
English Hotel on
the corner of Old English Road / Derwent Avenue, which had been
rebuilt and repaired in the late 1880s following
a major fire in 1884.
Hunter's Grocery Store, with its ornate corner look out at roof
level, is closer to the cameraman on the opposite corner. The
photograph was taken in 1909 and the time on the clock reads
W. Evans and Sons, the jewellers, has been on Dale Road for more
than a century. The founder, William Evans, had been a watchmaker
in Wirksworth for several decades before moving to Matlock, with
premises in the Market Place.
By 1891 he was living at Greenwich House in St. John's Street,
Wirksworth. He was born in Nottingham and he first appeared in
Matlock records about 1895.
In 1899 he advertised as "William Evans & Son, watchmakers
and jewellers, The Projecting clock, Dale road, & branch, Crown
His son Charles Walter Evans D.B.O.A., F.S.M.C. was a certified
Projecting Clock" was used on the firm's business stationery.
The spectacles above the W. Evans sign feature on several old
postcards. Interestingly, there were only a few opticians in Derbyshire
at the end of the nineteenth century although Walter wasn't the
only optician working in Matlock.
From Hodgkinson's Guide, about
To the right of Evans was the Chemist & Druggist Robert Harker
and the Stationery and Fancy Goods shop closest to the camera was
probably run by Eliza Harris.
Carved stonework beneath the oriel window on the corner
the building. This predates the 1884 fire at the
The decorative frieze above and below the first floor
also seems to have survived the fire. A small portion and
decorative scroll are show on the right.
1. "Dale Road, Matlock". Valentine's Series, 61574. Valentine's
Series is a guarantee of British Manufacture. The image was registered
by Valentine's in 1909.
2. Advertisement from "Guide to Matlock and Matlock Bath" (ca.
1907) Printed and published by Geo. Hodgkinson, Matlock Printing
In the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Information researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
3, 4 and 5. 2016 photographs © Susan Tomlinson.
Intended for personal use only.
References (coloured hyperlinks for onsite transcripts):
 The Old English was recently
called the Cromwell Hotel, but the name has been dropped and
the building changed to multiple use.
 "Derbyshire Courier",
15 November 1884. Destruction of the Old English Hotel. Damage
£12,000. This was just one of many articles describing the hotel
fire. Nothing had been done to repair and rebuild the property
in September 1885 when the landlady applied to renew the license.
 Various census returns. In 1861 he
was living at RG09/2517 f54 p1 s4; 1871 at RG10/3594 f43 p8 s47;
1881 at RG11/3419 f48 p14; 1891 at RG12/2750 f41 p1 s87; in 1901 the
family was on Dale Road. Both William and Walter Evans advertised
in Kelly's Directory 1908 | Kelly's
Directory 1912 | Kelly's Directory 1916
1895 Directory (not listed in Matlock Bridge).
 See examples of the Stationery on Matlock:
Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (2)
 An examination of several Derbyshire
trades directories revealed 4 opticians in the county in 1881,
by 1891 the number had increased to 9 and in both 1895 and 1899
there were 11. Many towns and villages had no-one to test people's
 1901 Census