In 1949 the young projectionist at the Picture Palace Cinema on Dale
Road, Harry Salt, stepped out onto the cinema's balcony at 11.12
a.m. to take this picture. The precise time the photo was
taken is recorded on the clock above Evans jewellers. Harry had
taught himself to develop and print his own films and this was
one of his earliest efforts. It provides us with a good view of
what used to be the Old English Hotel, the large Victorian Gothic
building on the corner of Dale Road and the Derwent Avenue/Old
English Road junction. Hunter's Stores was on the opposite corner.
The Army Recruitment Office, with two signs, was run by Sergeant
Steel[e]. A sign for K Shoes can also been seen, slightly closer
to the camera. In the 1950s this shoe shop installed a ground
breaking (for the time) X-ray machine for checking the fit of shoes.
When the first shops on Firs Parade were built the shoe shop (Wallis's)
moved away from Dale Road.
The vehicles' number plates are impossible to read. The
small truck bottom left was an L.M.S. delivery vehicle and was
almost certainly driven by either Reg Gedney or Herbert Henry Goodall.
They were the only drivers working out of Matlock Station at that
Advertisement for Wallis's.
Matlock Mercury, 7 July 1951.