The photographer would have been standing close to the sharp bend
in Cavendish Road, then called Bent Lane, to capture this shot.
The card dates from between 1899 and 1910 or so. It is harder
to be more accurate with the date but the football stand, seemingly
slightly more substantial that in other pictures as it is shown
with a back, was still on the Hall Leys and the park had not
yet been developed. The bandstand had not been built. Below Snitterton
Road are signs of quarrying.
In the foreground is Smedley's Church (on the extreme
left) and the steep roof of All Saints' Church is unmistakable.
Jackson House Hydro (bottom, centre) is seen, unusually, from the
rear of the building. The Jackson Road hydro, which
was known as Abbey Hotel in the 1950s, was later renamed Jackson
Tor House. It was opened by George and Martha Barton in 1857;
the couple were former employees of John Smedley and their son
later built Lilybank Hydro. Their neighbour was George Davis at
Tor House Hydro (to the left of Jackson House, and in line with
Leonard Bramwell took over from the Bartons.
The hotel finally closed in 2003 and has been converted into flats.
If you follow the roof line of the hydro you can see a wide bend
in the road where Smedley Street meets Wolley Road. The large house
in the crook of the bend was called "The
Terrace". It was split into two halves, with the Reverend
John Higgs (d.1895) in one half and the Collinsons in the other.
Charles Collinson (d.1897) was said to have been a quiet philanthropist
and a supporter of All Saints' Church.
There is a brass chancel screen in All Saints' church in his memory,
given by his daughter Maud. In an essay about the Collinsons, Joyce
Copeland mentions his connection to the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.
James Collinson, Charles' brother, was a founder member of the
group and was for a time engaged to Christina Rossetti, the poetess.
Dorothy Fairey was running the Derwent Hotel
Her husband, George Frederick Fairey of the Abbey Hotel, died
their hotel was sold.
The distinctive tower on the left hand block has an overhanging