Looking south from Jackson Tor, 1928
|Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards,
Engravings & Etchings
The view of Matlock, the War Memorial, High Tor and Masson hillside
was taken from the recreation ground above Jackson Tor on Cavendish
Road. On the extreme left is the road through Starkholmes but where
the houses of Whitewood Way are today was still fields. At the
entrance to Matlock Dale the quarry seems to be enveloped in a
cloud of dust.
Enlargement of the County Bridge, Crown Square and Bakewell Road
Down in the town centre the buildings at Park Head, on the left
of the second image, had been demolished just a few
years before, leaving an open vista of the park from Crown
Square. On the far side of Bakewell Road, in the middle of
the picture, we can see the Railway Inn and its former stable
A little further to the right is a single storey unit with
the word Garage on the roof which was probably the Premier
Garage run by Bill Furniss.
The building with the two centrally placed chimney stacks on
the photographer's side of Bakewell Road would have been Allen's
Garage in 1928. Their stables, later garages are behind the main
building. Next to it is an undeveloped area with a gap in the
wall providing access. This was then known as Bateman's Park.
On this land, next to Allen's Garage, are what look like trestle
tables which were presumably market stalls.
It wasn't until 1952 that the
bus station was built and opened next to the market.
Enlargement of the station goods yard and, on the left, what had
been the Rag Mill, later Poyser's and the works of the Curtis Cultivator
The former Rag Mill, the building with the tall chimney in the
final picture, can be seen in other images on the site.
In 1934 patent rights for new inventions were granted to G. W.
Poyser and the Curtis Cultivator Co. Ltd. of the Curtis Works in
Matlock for improvement in lawnmowers; they were trading from the
in late 1937 there was a serious
fire and the building burned down with
to fifty people losing their jobs.
The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1939.
In the station goods yard there was a heavy hoist, substantially
built for large loads such as slabs of stone or major pieces of
machinery. This one appears to be double width to enable loads
to be moved from a lorry to a wagon or vice versa. The hoist had
a hook, which seems to be suspended from the middle. It was unusual
to find such a large hoist in a local goods yard.
Also see: Building
the Railway Line to Matlock Station | Matlock
Railway Station Buildings, 2004 and before | Matlock
Station: Smart's Quarry, 1928
A kit for 00 model railways gives a good
view of how a wide hoist would be - click
here (external link).
"Matlock Dale". Published by Valentine & Sons,
Ltd., Dundee & London, No.204462J.V. Registered in 1928. This
card posted on 11 Jul 1949 in Bamford, Sheffield Message, but not
Postcard in the collection of and provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this web
 When the Matlock Town Football Club
Supporters Auxiliary Association was formed in 1958 the very small
upstairs room of this building became the football office which
they occupied until about 1979. The building was then owned by the
Brewery. With thanks to Susan Tomlinson for contributing this information.
 William Henry Furniss advertised in
Kelly's 1925 Directory - Premier Garage, Bakewell Road, with offices
on Causeway Lane; Also Premier Garage, Matlock Bath.
 The mill chimney can also be seen
on Matlock - looking towards
Hackney, early 20th Century | Matlock:
Holt Lane and Dale Road, about 1900 | The
Popular Album of Matlock. You have to look hard, but it also
can be seen on Matlock Bank and Bridge,
1900-02 (second image) and Matlock
Bank, the Hall Leys and Dale Road, 1912-20 (top image).
 "Derby Daily Telegraph", 5 March 1934. Local inventions.
 "Derby Daily Telegraph", 11 November 1937. The fire was not discovered until the flames actually burst through the roof and, despite the prompt response from the fire brigade, the only this
that could be saved were items from the office.
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
26 November 1937. They applied to the Council to use the former
tramway depot building.
 "Derbyshire Times",
24 November 1939.
 With grateful thanks to Andy Andrews
for providing the hoist information.