This image, "Castle View", probably dates from the late 1940s
and would have been taken from similar spot on Cavendish Road to the
We can see, for example, the Council's development in Starkholmes on
the High Tor hillside. The first phase of houses in Whitewood Way and
Shortlands were opened in 1932.
When Matlock Council were debating what to call the new roads Remo
Tinti suddenly suggested, rather frivolously, that the development
should be called Canary View.
One can only wonder if he had given the matter any thought beforehand.
At the Winter Gardens end of the former Smedley's Hydro is one
of the two covered corridors/walkways across Smedley
Street, connecting the older buildings on the southern side of
Smedley Street with the post-1900 ones on the opposite side of
the road. The first of these double decked bridges, not
shown on this image, connects to
buildings on the street edge close to what is now County Hall's
main entrance. It was opened on 7 September 1901 when a new
annexe was partially launched. The annexe was to consist of 45
bedrooms and seven shops. The new block was parallel with the older
buildings, and a "connection between the two buildings ...
reached from the second and third landings of the hydro".
Visitors were able to access their rooms easily by using the hydro's
lift and then crossing over. The entire project had been designed
by the hydro's resident architect, William Doxey.
Further bedrooms were added in 1906 and 1910.
Here we can see the second bridge which is longer than the
first one but has considerably less clearance over Smedley
Street. It provides access from the west wing of the main building
to the northern block. Unlike the 1901 bridge, it is supported
by stone walls or pillars on either side of Smedley Street and
the second bridge continues further before joining the hydro buildings.
Indeed, the northern side seems to have been added as an afterthought
rather than as an integral part of the hydro's design. It was added
Detail from an aerial photo by Frith, about 1955.
The arrows point to the bridges.
There used to be another inter-connecting bridge, closer to the
Rutland Street/Smedley Street junction, which was only a single decked
walkway. It can be seen on VLA4952 and
on the ninth image down on Bank Road & the
Steep-Gradient Tramway. It is not known when that bridge was removed
but there is no visible sign on the stonework today.