Although the postcard (above) has a message on it that is dated 1927,
the photograph is known to have been taken in 1914. Matlock
Bank was still relatively undeveloped, with a number of large
fields still part of the landscape. There are a couple of pointers
that also agree with the 1914 date as the Imperial Road Church
is shown in the picture (though is mostly hidden behind trees
from this angle), therefore the card is later that 1911 which
is when the church was being built. In addition, there is no
sign of building work on Causeway Lane; the cinema was built
post-war and opened in 1922.
When the image is enlarged a horse can be seen tethered
at the bend in Church Street and a horse and cart are wending
their way up Lime Tree Road (both are just about visible in the
image immediately below). There are several people in the photograph,
though they are too small to be seen in the picture here. Two figures
are on the Tansley side of the Horse Shoe in Matlock Green, for
example, and there's even a couple sitting behind a hedge! Look
almost vertically above the 7 of the card's number. In the field
next to the one with the card's number in it,
close to the hedge, is a white dot. The white is a shirt or blouse.
Tram shelter and Park Head shops in
Crown Square, demolished in the 1920s.
Enlargement of Matlock Green.
Look carefully and you can just see the apex of the roof
of the original Congregational Chapel
behind the buildings at the bottom of of Lime Tree Road.
Enlargement of the cluster of houses surrounding St. Giles'
Church and Church Yard, Matlock Town.
The former Wheatsheaf pub is to the left of the churchyard.
Dean Hill House, the home of Dr. William Harrison and his sister
Margaret towards the end of the nineteenth century can
be seen on the second of the three enlarged sections of the card
(above). Their home is at the top of the image, in the centre.
Amongst earlier occupants of the property was the colour manufacturer
On the far side of Dean Hill House are two large fields known
as the Dean Fields which extend down the hill from Chesterfield
Road to the edge of the football ground. The first newspaper
reference to these fields occurred in 1811 with a sale at the
Horse Shoe Inn at Matlock Green. Lot 3 was Nether Dean Hills (3a.
2r. 15p.) with barn and a carpenter's shop on the lower end; it
was then occupied by William Ellis. Lot 4 was
a freehold close known as Upper Dean Hills (3a. 2r. 16p.) also
occupied by William Ellis.
Thirty one years later, in 1842, Charles Else advertised for sale,
amongst other properties, "Lot 4. Freehold. A valuable piece
or parcel of land, with the barn thereon standing, called Deans
Hills, in the occupation of William Ellis".
A similar view to the top image.
It was almost certainly taken at around the same time as the
though from slightly lower down the hill.
In 1933 the Matlock Urban Council
announced that they had acquired Dean Hills,
"some three acres of hillside land which overlooks the Causeway
Lane sports ground and the Hall Leys Park. ...
When developed it will considerably add to the Matlock Pleasure
land is still owned by the Council.
The Dean Fields are called the Dene Fields these days
This photo of the land was
taken from Hall
Leys Park in
February 2016. Matlock's football ground is on the far side of
The field boundaries shown on the 1848 tithe map and on the images
above are still clearly defined today.