Above is a promotional post card for Matlock
House Hydro; it is unposted but has an an undivided back and no
message strip on the front, so is most probably early Edwardian.
The figures, though tiny, would also seem to support a pre Great
The second picture, with the tram going past up Rutland Street,
appeared on the front cover of Abel Heywood's 1903 Guide as part
of an advertisement for the hydro. The advert went on to say that
the hydro was "the
most pleasant situate and most efficiently equipped Hydro in Matlock.
For comfort and cuisine unexcelled. Terms, en pension, moderate
Robert Hall was the secretary and managing director of Matlock
House Hydropathic Co. Limited at the time and four years before
the establishment had been described as a "first class health & pleasure
resort; hydropathic baths; skilled attendants; liberal table; moderate
Twenty years before that, Charles Rowland, his wife and some of
their relatives had run the hydro.
Of similar date to the top image. Three of the images are identical
to those on the top card.
The fortunes of Matlock House Hydropathic company declined and,
at two Extraordinary General Meetings of Members held at the hydro
on 20 Dec 1909 and on 14 Jan 1910, it was decided to wind up the
In 1911 The Times announced the death of William Moxon, who had been
physician to the "Matlock House Sanatorium".
Matlock House did, however, still continue to operate an an Hydropathic
Establishment and William
Tilley was its proprietor in1917.
In 1921 a Private Company, Matlock House Ltd., was formed to "take
over the business of proprietor of medical institutions carried on
by F. Kincaid at Matlock House. Matlock. The first directors are:—Dr.
F. Kincaid, Tansley Wood, Matlock, Derbyshire ; J. T. Robertson,
5 Park Lane, Sheffield. Registered Office, Matlock Bank road, Matlock,
sale notice was published in 1923 and
in early 1925 the "London
Gazette" announced that "the following companies have
been struck off the register and the companies dissolved: Matlock
House, Limited, Matlock Sanatorium, Limited".
a somewhat confusing piece in Ward Lock's 1926 Guide: "Matlock
House, the site of which is a little higher than Smedley's, being
about 700 feet above sea level, is a fine erection of white stone,
sheltered by woods and hills on the north and east. Having been
a hydro, it was recently converted to a sanatorium".
Either the guide was rather behind the times with the events, or
it was a misprint and the word "sanatorium" should have been "school".
On 11 March 1926 Mrs. Law opened Matlock Modern School on the premises
and the school was there until just before the Second World War.
The building was renamed Rutland Court.
Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (3) - Matlock House, 1920
links go to more on site information):
 "Abel Heywood's
Guide Books, With Cycling, Walking and Driving Routes. Matlock Illustrated." (1903)
Abel Heywood & Son, Manchester & London.
 Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1899. Also
1891 Directory |
1891 census | 1901
 Earlier references for Charles Rowland
and his relatives involvement include: 1871
Kelly's 1876 Directory
 "The London
Gazette", 21 January
1910. Walter Frederick Dakin
of "Clovelly" Matlock Bank Incorporated Accountant was
appointed Liquidator. Jno McLaren Secretary.
 "The Times", Thursday,
Jul 20, 1911. Obituary for Dr. William Moxon. Moxon also worked for
Matlock Urban District Council. See Kelly's
Directory Officials 1908.
Directory 1916 - also see Kelly's
Directory 1908 | Kelly's
Directory 1912 (when John McLaren was the secretary).
 He advertised in the "Western
Mail", 13 August 1917 and other papers.
 "Sheffield Independent",
31 March 1921 recorded that on 13 March that year the private company
Matlock House, Ltd. was set up with capital of £100 in 1s.
shares (1,000 Preferred and 1,000 Founders').
 "Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer",
1 September 1923.
 "Nottingham Evening Post",
11 February 1925.
 Ward Lock & Co's "Matlock,
Dovedale, Bakewell and South Derbyshire", Illustrated Guide
Books of England and Wales (1926-7).
 Goodwyn, Colin (1998) "The History
of Tor Cottage Matlock Dale", a privately published limited
edition. Mrs. Law also used Tor House, then known as Matlock Garden