Dale View was a large property on Sitch Lane, Oker. The house was
always known as Dale View and had been built around the core
of a small farm.
An 1897 advertisement for the property described it as a "desirable
Freehold Gritstone built villa residence, known as "Dale
View," situate at Oaker, containing dining-room, kitchen,
four bedrooms, pantry, cellar, with large store room, house and
loft over, paddock ...".
It was then occupied by Mrs. Gibbs.
Some time after the First World War Captain Charles Blyth Ward
rebuilt or extended the house.
He registered other property from this address in 1925,
giving his occupation at the time as "Gentleman".
Charles Blyth Ward was born in Sheffield on 27 Dec 1874, the son
of Septimus Henry and Emma Ward.
He was educated at Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey.
His father founded Sheaf Brewery (S. H. Ward & Co. Ltd.) which
was on Ecclesall Road, Sheffield and they produced Ward's beer.
Charles Ward became a Director of the firm.
Like many others, he joined the Territorial Force Reserve before
the First World War and in 1910 the London Gazette announced
his Captaincy of the 3rd West Riding Brigade, backdated to 18th
He had married Mary Kate Thompson, who was born in Australia,
in 1899 but they divorced in 1917 and
he subsequently remarried. In the mid-1920's he "employed
Twyfords to build Two Dales Cafe for three of his wife's spinster
the Misses Duke.
He seems to have been a Company Director of various firms including
Atkinson Brothers Ltd. of Sheffield.
Mr. Ward left Dale View in 1941,
moving to Hurker, Farley. Whilst he was living at Oker,
Charles Ward also owned land at Farley and around Flash Dam.
He owned the grouse moor between Hurker and Flash Dam, including
a large part of Matlock Moor. His obituary notice said that he
regularly shot over the ground before the Second World War. He
died in April 1950, aged 75, leaving a widow (Eva) and two daughters.
Dale View became a home for evacuees during the Second World
War and then a bible college/holiday retreat,
which is what it was when the above photograph was taken. The building
was demolished about the mid-1950s because subsidence had made
it structurally unsound. A bungalow was later built on the site
of the tennis courts.
 Taylor, Keith and Brown, Trevor "A
Derbyshire Parish at War" (about South Darley), with
thanks to Ray Ash.
 "Derbyshire Advertiser and
Journal", 30 April 1897.
 "The London Gazette".
 Various census returns. See images
of Charterhouse School in another section of the site, beginning
School, Godalming, 1900-07
 Taylor, Keith (2002), "Darley
Dale Remembered Through 50 Years of War and Peace",
ISBN 1 898941 79 3, Country Books, Little Longstone, Bakewell,
Derbyshire, DE45 1NN, p.260.
 The National Archives, Divorce Court File: 8882.
 "Derbyshire Times",
23 May 1941. Tues June 10th. Auction Rooms Alfreton. Sale of
Antique and Modern Furniture removed for convenience of sale
from C. B. Ward, Esq., Dale View, Oaker, Matlock.
 "Derbyshire Times",
28 April 1950. Obituary.