The tennis court and bowling green for Oldham
House Hydro used to be on Cavendish Road, close to the junction
with Wellington Street. To the left is a vegetable garden, presumably
belonging to the hydro. Similar pictures of the tennis court date
from during and just after the First World War.
The advertisement below is one of a series that were placed in
newspapers in the 1910 season.
Derbyshire Courier, 25 June 1910
OLDHAM HOUSE AND PROSPECT PLACE
Accommodation for 100 Visitors.
Hydropathic Treatment a Speciality.
18 Hole Golf Links near. Tennis. Bowls.
Terms; 35/-, 38/6. 42/- per week, inclusive.
Telephone 56. Apply Manager.
See samples of their notepaper
on Matlock: Letterheads
of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (4), N - R
Vernon Lamb Archive, Hydros and Convalescing, Index has
15 photos of the hydro's staff and guests
"Oldham House Hydro, Matlock, Tennis Court and Bowling Green"
Sepia Tone Series, Published by The Photochrome Co. Ltd., London
and Tunbridge Wells. Not posted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann
Written, researched by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only