The sepia photograph (above) was taken a few years after the previous
image and there are now nets surrounding the grass tennis courts.
The two women who are on the courts nearest the camera and holding
tennis racquets do not appear to have partners. There are more tennis
courts on the far side of the band stand and all the players using
them seem to be women.
A bowls match, an all male affair, was taking place on the
green behind the nearer set of courts;
the bowling green on the far side of the band stand had clearly
not been laid at the time. However, it is marked in its current
position on the OS map of 1922, so it was set out not long after
the picture for this card was taken. In 1930 the bowling club
members' activities were likened to Monte Carlo when a Councillor
reported complaints of gambling at bowls matches to a Council Meeting!
Shillings and half crowns were said to being bet - but the Council
preferred to take no action.
The enlargement below shows the far end of the park, with the
shops and houses of Matlock Green on the left and a wall running
along the boundary of the properties in Knowleston Place. The two
figures in white are also playing tennis.
Having taken the photograph at the top of the page, the cameraman strolled
just a few yards to the other side of the band stand to take his
next park scene. The post cards have consecutive numbers and were
both registered by Valentine's in 1914.
A group of people are playing croquet in the picture below, a game
that was very popular in the Matlocks before the first war and which
continued to be played on the Hall Leys between the wars. The hoops
were laid out on an area of grass that was later to become the bowling
green. There are also tennis nets closer to the pavilion building,
although they only go part of the way around the area where the two
women can be seen holding racquets. The women (or girls) are facing
the camera, so not exactly concentrating on their game!