In 1926 the Hall Leys was described in a Ward Lock Guide. "Bordering
the river on the eastern side are some attractive public gardens known
as the Hall Lees, one of the pleasantest of outdoor lounges.The wide
smooth lawns are bordered with well chosen herbaceous plants and flowering
shrubs. There are many seats and a pavilion for shelter in wet weather.
A band plays here in summer, and for a small sum tennis, bowls, croquet,
skittles and fishing can be enjoyed".
The cost of playing on Council run bowling green that year was 3d.
per game whereas a season ticket cost 7s. 6d. It was 5s. more to combine
tennis and bowls season tickets.
The Hall Leys park still seems to be just large stretches of grass,
crossed by footpaths and with no tennis courts marked out,
when this picture was taken. However, we know grass court tennis
was played on the Hall Leys before the First World War (see
previous image) so presumably the nets had not yet been put
up. The section of the park between the bandstand and Knowleston
Place would have included the bowling green, but the boating
lake and paddling pool were not installed until a few years later.
Matlock Town's Football Club had moved from the park to the Causeway
Lane ground some years before.
The stand is there, though you can hardly see it.
Whilst this card wasn't posted it probably dates from the very
early 1930s as the cinema house complex was built post war (1922).
There is also a white house on Dene Hills which isn't shown on
photographs from the 1920s.