|Pig Tor, Matlock,
1903 - 1905
|Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards,
Engravings & Etchings
Ebenezer Rhodes described the view
approximately eighty years before this photograph was taken.
"From Matlock Bank many pleasing views are presented, in which
the church, most romantically situated amongst groups of trees
on the verge of a rock, is a beautiful feature. The undulation
of the limestone strata from Church Rock to Pig Tor, at the entrance
to Matlock Dale, is extremely curious, and highly worthy the observation
This picture was published shortly after the Council had opened up
a walkway round the base of the rock.
An amusing discussion took place in the Council Chamber in September
1902 regarding the name of the new Promenade, when
Mr. Bunting queried whether the name should be Pic Tor or Pig Tor.
The alternative of Lovers' Walks was suggested but one of the wags
thought it too old fashioned! Only two Councillors voted for it
and Pic Tor Promenade was agreed, though it was suggested that
if archaeologists decided that the name was originally Pig Tor
it would have to be called that.
Matlock's War Memorial was erected on the top of Pic Tor in 1921
when the land was bought from Frederic Arkwright of Willersley
Castle; the site
was chosen so the memorial could be seen from miles around.
the War Memorials
In the collection of and provided by and information researched by
and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this web
 Rhodes, Ebenezer (1824) "Peak
Scenery" pub. London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown,
and Green, Paternoster Row
Times and Chesterfield Herald",
6 September 1902. Pic Tor or Pig Tor? For more bout the historical
names see The Pic Tor, Matlock, from a painting by H H Cubley
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
14 September 1920