|Matlock : Pic Tor,
|Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards,
Engravings & Etchings
Urban District Council in 1903-4 opened up the Pictor Promenade and
other river walks ... ".
By the time this photograph was taken, probably in the second
decade of the twentieth century, the Council had erected railings
on this stretch of the riverbank which aren't shown
on earlier images, presumably because the river is
very close to the edge of the path at this point. In May 1903 the
Council discussed lighting "the district from Dale Road to Matlock
Green by Pic Tor" during the summer months. They mentioned
the numbers using this route, and commented that
there were many "nasty" corners and curves on it.
It was announced in September 1920 that Matlock Urban District
Council "has acquired the Pic Tor Rocks and promenade, which
leads from the park by the river Derwent to the Dale-road suspension
bridge. The owner, Mr. F. C. Arkwright, Vice-Lord-Lieutenant of
the County, has agreed to accept the small sum of £350 for the
lot. On the highest point it is intended to erect the Matlock war
land the walkway was on had previously been rented to the Council
for ten guineas per annum.
This card was posted in Matlock on 27 Oct 1920 and sent to Miss
Maggie Macdonald of Littleborough near Manchester. The sender was
clearly enjoying him/her self. The message reads: "champion
over here The afternoons are lovely just like summer and am spending
my time outside".
"Matlock Baths. Pic Tor". "Celesque" Series postcard,
published by the Photochrom Co. Ltd, London and Tunbridge Wells.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and researched by and © Ann Andrews
Information researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
 "Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire",
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
9 May 1903. The Council decision was to light this route instead
of lighting Bakewell Road,
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
14 September 1920.
 Bryan, Benjamin (1903) "History
of Matlock - Matlock, Manor and Parish" London by Bemrose & Sons,