A Hydro for young and old alike!
This attractive card dates from shortly after the building was
extended by the architects Barry Parker and Raymond Unwin between
1903 and 1906; the towers were built at that time. This view of
the hydro is from what was the croquet lawn. "The grounds
were originally laid out in the great tradition of the Victorian
landscaped gardens and much of its arboreal splendour survived
until the 1980s".
The croquet lawn was laid about 1880, when William Atkins and his
sister took over the lease.
is another picture of this lawn, with people playing croquet in
the Just Images/Images Only section.
family had been running Rockside since 1894. Their establishment
was advertised as a high class pleasure resort for summer and winter,
with resident Lady and Visiting Physicians. The Lady Physician
was Dr. Marie Orme (née Goodwin).
It would be nice to think that the boy in the photograph was Christopher
Orme, who was born in 1903, but it is unlikely as he would not
have been old enough.
Advertisement for Rockside, 1911-12.
The "Pure Mountain Air" was said to be dry, bracing and health-giving.
Dr. Albert L'Estrange Orme, the Visiting Physician, had died in
Some of the Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts features of Rockside, incorporated
into the Parker and Unwin design,
can be seen in the building's interior today.
the Former Matlock Hydro
has more photographs of the twenty
first century restoration.
There is more about Rockside
Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (4), N - R.
The earliest of these dates from 1912, when both Miss Goodwin and Mr.
John J. Goodwin were the Managers of Rockside Ltd.
The Goodwins advertised
in the following on-site trade directories:
Kelly's Directory, 1895 | Kelly's
Directory, 1899 | Kelly's
Directory, 1908 | Kelly's
Directory, 1912 (under Goodwin) | Kelly's
Directory, 1912 (under Rockside) | Kelly's
Directory, 1916 (under Goodwin) | Kelly's
Directory, 1916 (under Rockside)