The view of the north and east sides of St. Giles' shows the church,
photographed from near the small top gateway. The churchyard was
well maintained. The headstones cannot quite be read, but the monumental
mason of the left hand grave closest to the camera was a T. Buckley
and, having checked which memorials Mr. Buckley carved in this
section of the churchyard, it marks the grave of William and Ann
Capper Starkey. Ann was buried on 7 June 1890 and William on 16
August 1902. On a personal note, further away and not quite opposite
the tower, are several sets of railings one of which commemorates
relatives on the family tree of the web mistress.
Having been enlarged in the late
1890s work on the church continued in the early twentieth
century, overseen by the rector, the Rev J. W. Kewley. In 1900
a new "small but very beautiful " window was installed
in memory of Catherine Sophia Oxenden Leacroft and Sir John Staples,
who had been Lord Mayor of London (1885-6). It was the gift of
Mr. and Mrs. Staples of Spondon Old Hall.
The window and a number of other gifts and additions to the church
were dedicated by the Bishop of Southwell, Dr. Hoskyns, in February
1908. The improvements, totalling approximately £3,000, included
a magnificent set of oak stalls that had been carved by Mr. A.
Hunstone of Tideswell and were a gift from Miss Harrison of Matlock
in memory of her late brother, Dr. W. Harrison. A new organ, built
by Mr. Adkins of Derby, had been installed which had cost over £1,000
and there two new vestries - one for the clergy and another for
the choir. The church had received a gift of £800
from the Will of the late Mr Henry Knowles of Knowlstone Place
and Burton-upon-Trent, which was used to pay for the items that
had not specifically been donated.
The Church authorities had decided in 1907 to add the choir vestry
to the church, costing about £800, as well as the organ;
the cost of the latter was estimated at £600, but
it clearly ended up costing considerably more. To facilitate some
of the changes a question arose about moving the Woolley monument
to a new position and the church was referred to the Derbyshire
Archaeological Society over the matter.
There were three long lasting appointments made at his time. In
1900 Joseph Sladen became the Church Warden and W. N. Statham was
chosen as the People's Warden.
Mr. Statham served his church for twenty eight years and Mr. Sladen
for not much less. About 1901 John Henry Paulson, who initially
resided on Matlock Green and Cliff but later moved to Church Street,
was given the the post of sexton and verger. When he retired in
1932, after 31 years' service, he had dug over 2,270 graves, attended
over 2,000 funerals and been present at 1000 weddings.
A similar view in November, 2015.
View even more about the church by clicking on the images below:
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this web
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 14 July 1900. Go to the
transcript of the inscription. Mrs. Staples was a member of
the Leacroft family (see Pedigree
 The dedication service was reported
in the "Sheffield Independent" of 10 February
1908 and the "Derbyshire Courier" of 15 February
1908. The oak carving of the stalls seem to have been designed
by W. N. Statham, as the carving was mentioned in his obituary,
but the dedication reports do not mention this.
 "Derbyshire Courier",
3 August 1907.
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 28 April 1900.
 See John Paulson with his family in
the 1891 census | the
1901 census. He was married and living on Church Street by
1911, his occupation being given as Church Verger.
 "Nottingham Evening Post",
30 June 1932. This was the date he actually retired. There was
another report in the "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald" on 2 July 1932.