St. Giles' Church Interior, about 1910
|Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards,
Engravings & Etchings
"There is fine modern craftsmanship in the oak stalls, the organ
case, and the pulpit".
This photograph of the church interior, showing all three items,
would have been taken not long after the 1908 dedication service
following the installation of a new organ and choir stalls.
If you loook carefully at the clerk's desk in front of the reading-pew
you can just about make out the carved figure of St. Giles on the
side closest to the pulpit. The stalls had been paid for
by Miss Margaret Harrison of Dean Hill, a very generous benefactress
of both the church and the community. She died on 6 Mar 1918 and
amongst the many bequests in her Will was one of £1,000 for
the augmentation of the endowment of St. Giles'.
"The most engaging small possession of the church is hanging on
the wall of an aisle, a set of six paper garlands" (click
on the black and white image below for more information).
An alabaster tomb in
the south aisle is probably the most important monument in the
church; it has engraved portraits of Anthony Wolley and his
wife, with their four sons and two daughters below them.
The Wolley children were John, Edward, Anthony, Thomas, Anne and
Jane. Anthony senior "is clad in an ample a fur-lined gown,
reaching to his feet, and having long hanging sleeves. His wife
also wears a long robe, with sleeves of similar cut, open down
the front, but with fastenening ties [bows] at intervals".
A close fitting Tudor cap is on her head.
This tomb was moved about 1907 from
its former position in the choir vestry.
Several of the stained glass windows are in memory of the Leacroft
family. There are
also three gritstone tablets commemorating those who fell in the
First World War. When the memorial was discussed at a Vestry Meeting
in May 1919 it was felt that
all the parishioners would want the most permanent memorial possible
placed in the church, quite apart from other erected memorials
in the town.
The Rector, Canon Kewley,
had made a huge effort to ensure that the names of those
who died during the conflict were recorded which later proved helpful
in providing the names for the church memorial and the town
memorial on top of Pic Tor.
View even more about the church by clicking on the images below:
St. Giles Church (Interior), Matlock. The Loca-Vu Photo Co., Publishers,
Sheffield, No.80. Printed in England. Not used.
Postcard in the collection of and provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this web
 Mee, Arthur (ed.) (1937) "Derbyshire:
The Peak Country", The King's England Series, Hodder and
Stoughton Limited, London
 There is more about the carving and
the new organ on St. Giles' Church
in the First Decade of the Twentieth Century. The dedication
service was reported in the "Sheffield Independent" of
10 February 1908 and the "Derbyshire Courier" of
15 February 1908. The oak carving of the stalls seem to have been
designed by the people's warden, William Nathan Statham, as the
carving was mentioned in his obituary but the dedication reports
do not mention this. It is also quite probable that he took the
photo for this postcard as he definitely took another one of the
church (see Photographers, Statham)
which was published by Loca-Vu and it cannot be a co-incidence
that this particular picture shows his work.
 "Derbyshire Courier," 26
 Bryan, Benjamin (1903) "History
of Matlock - Matlock, Manor and Parish" London by Bemrose & Sons,
Limited. There is also a description of the Wolley monument in
Mee. The transcript of this memorial and others for the Wolley/Woolley
families can be found in the list
of MIs in the church. Also see the
three Wolley Pedigrees.
 "Derbyshire Courier",
3 August 1907. Referral to the Derbyshire Archaeological Society.
 See the Leacroft MIs in the church: ch18 | ch19 | ch24 | ch25 | ch38 and
also that of Mrs. Greaves- ch32.
Their relationship can be seen in the Pedigree
 "Derbyshire Courier," 3
May 1919. Names on the walls. Proposed Memorial at Matlock Parish
 Rev. Kewley became a Canon in 1915. "Derbyshire
27 March 1915.