Henry Knowles offered to transfer the land known as the Hall Leys
to the public in February 1898 and in 1903/4 the Urban District
Council built both the quarter mile long long asphalt promenade
and opened up the Pic Tor Promenade. The 7¾ acres were
laid out as recreation grounds in 1907.
This postcard is undated but is from an oil painting by Henry
Hadfield Cubley, an artist who lived in Matlock Bath at the
end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth century.
A selection of Cubley's paintings of Matlock & Matlock Bath
that are on this web site: