Church, Memorial Gardens and Riber from the Hall Leys
|Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs,
Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
Although the card's caption reads "Masson Hill" it is Riber
Hillside that rises up behind the bandstand and the church, photographed
from the Hall Leys. By "Memorial Gardens" the caption
is actually describing the churchyard; the gravestones can be seen
to the right of the church tower on the ground which slopes up
towards Pic Tor and the War Memorial. The footbridge across the
Derwent is behind the hedge (centre right) and houses in Derwent
Avenue on the far side of the river are also visible. As the trees
in the park aren't very mature it is likely this photograph was
taken in the years immediately following the construction of the
War Memorial, so in the early 1920's. The tramlines of tennis courts
are marked on the grass.
"Masson Hill, Showing Church and Memorial Gardens, Matlock". The W & K
Post Card Real Photograph. British Manufacture. No 31. Unposted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by, researched by and © Ann
Intended for personal use only.
|There is more on site information:
Matlock: Click on a picture of Matlock Hall Leys - enjoying a
sunny summer's afternoon (bottom of the page)
Bridge, has information about The Hall Leys Park and the bandstand