Matlock Bath seems to have had at least six designs for its
coats of arms; the ones we know of are discussed
Shown above are arms published on an early twentieth century
postcard and they incorporate both the Royal lion of England
and Britannia with her helmet, spear and lozenge shaped shield
with the Union flag on it.
The second set of arms includes a four arched bridge and
a river in the design (below). It was featured on china souvenirs,
in this instance a small mirror made by Willow Art China
of Longton. The bridge represents Matlock's mediaeval stone
bridge and the river is the River Derwent which flows through
both Matlock and Matlock Bath. There is a helmet above the
shield. The bridge design was more commonly found on Matlock
Acanthus leaves used in the mantle behind the coat of arms,
the red rose of Lancaster and the crown are common to both.
The most likely crown depicted is the Imperial State Crown,
but it is very difficult to tell.
Presumably, the red rose and crown symbolize the link with
John of Gaunt, Earl of Lancaster, that the district had in
the Middle Ages.
The remaining four designs have all been found on china
The bud vase has a similar coat of arms to those
above, incorporating several features found on
them both. The acanthus leaves, the lion and
the knight's helmet surround the top of the shield.
The Lancastrian rose, the crown and water are
all represented on the shield itself, but the
bridge symbol has gone. The piece, of English
make, is marked underneath:
J. M. White
The pretty china teapot has no maker's mark.
There are four symbols displayed on the shield
this time. Top left is a moose, complete with
antlers, sitting in a wooden enclosure. Top right
is an urn and fountain, presumably representing
the water fountain in the Grand Pavilion. Below
is a crown and a rose.
The tiny W. H. Goss jug is another variant but
is much simpler. It shows only a shield, on which
is water, the crown and the rose but has no mantle.
This china replica of the war memorial uses
the same arms as the 1904 postcard below.
Also see: Commemorative
Souvenirs of the War Memorials
Below is a second postcard, written on
23rd July 1904. This is variant of the arms shown on the
postcard at the top of the page, but without the mantle of
acanthus leaves surrounding the arms. The lion doesn't look
very happy! The brief message was written beside the picture
(not shown) as, at that time, only the recipient's name
and address could be written on the reverse.