This is one of two early photographs of the former Bath Terrace,
established as an hotel in 1798.
Reverend Richard Ward, writing in 1827, described the hotel: "Immediately
beyond the garden [of the New Bath] is a very neat and comfortable
lodging-house belonging to Mr. Richard Walker, and calculated
for the reception of up to twenty persons".
The premises became part of the New Bath Hotel, but for a
long time it was a separate establishment and was run by
the Walker family for many years in the nineteenth century.
The mid nineteenth century writer of Railway Guides, George
Bradshaw, possibly stayed at the hotel as he descibed it
good, comfortable and moderate".
The building was enlarged in the 1860s - the portion on
the left of the front is clearly an addition.
A sale notice in 1869 described the hotel as: "All
that first class family hotel, which has for many years had
an excellent connection ... known as Walker's Bath Terrace
Hotel, standing upon a gentle eminence adjoining the main
road from Derby to Buxton, commanding a view of the best
scenery in the locality. The Hotel contains an excellent
coffee-room, five sitting rooms, and numerous bedrooms ;
also kitchens and the requisite offices, including coach
house and stabling. The premises are in good repair, a considerable
portion being nearly new, and there is an abundant supply
of pure water and gas".
The Bath Terrace was auctioned by the Walker's in March 1886
was bought by Mr Charles Hill, a manufacturer of Cromford,
for £2400. Mr.
Hill owned other property in Matlock Bath, including Woodland
House. By 1896, when he tried to auction the hotel again,
Charles Hill was a J.P.and living at Woodborough
Hall, Notts. At
that time the hotel was fully licensed and let on a lease to
Other nineteenth century licensees included Richard Walker,
Mr. R. Grant, W. Harrison, a Mrs. Taylor, formerly of St
Helens, Alfred Storrs,
Thomas William Hesketh, Robert Watson,
Mr. Harrison, recently of Nottingham, Miss J Aldred (Aldritt
in some sources), Joseph Francis Clay and Mrs. Macdonald.
Those running the hotel in the earlier part of the twentieth
Miss Hoy, Mrs. Watson, Mr. Barker, Mrs. Edith Kent and Arthur
Morgan who was killed in the First World War.
After the War the Bath Terrace and New Bath Hotels were linked
under the same management and by 1932 they had become Trust
During the Second World War the building was used as a medical
centre and the ground floor became the quarter master's store.
Post war it was used as the New Bath's staff quarters and
as the swimming pool changing rooms. The Bath Terrace was knocked
down some years ago and a house was built for the manager of
the New Bath on the site.
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this
 Date found on both 1863 Advertisement
of Walker's Bath Terrace
Hotel in Hall's "Days in Derbyshire" and
in White's Directory of 1862.
 Ward, Reverend Richard (Seventh Edn., 1827) "The
Matlock, Buxton and Castleton Guide, containing concise accounts
of these and other remarkable places ... in the ... County
of Derby", Derby.
 The Walker family appears in the
1841 census (no address given, but see Adam's
"Gem of the Peak") | 1851
census | 1861 census | 1871
census | 1881 census |
Also look at various 19th
century trade directories on thi web site
 "Bradshaw's Handbook for
Tourists in Great Britain and Ireland ... Section Four ...
Railways ... Midland", (1866) pub London (Adams) & Manchester
(Bradshaw and Blacklock). This guide is now famous as the inspiration
for the BBC TV series "Great British Railway Journeys" presented
by Michael Portillo.
of Matlock Bath, from the Wild Cat Tor"
which shows the building before it was enlarged.
 "The Derby Mercury",
Wednesday, February 10, 1869.
 "The Derby Mercury",
31 March, 1886.
 "The Derby Mercury",
Wednesday, June 17, 1896. The lot, i.e. the fully licensed
Bath Terrace Hotel, was withdrawn.
 Various license applications
published in "The Derby Mercury". It is
not known if W. Harrison and Mr. Harrison, recently of
Nottingham, are the same person.
 Robert Watson was living at
the Bath Terrace Hotel at the time of the
1891 census although Kelly's
Directory 1891 shows Mr. Hesketh still at the Hotel.
census (Hoy) and various trade directories including Kelly's
1908 Directory and Kelly's
 Read about Arthur Morgan
on Matlock Bath's War Memorial.
 From various trade directories.
 Conversation with Ken Smith.