"Nearly opposite Saxton's hotel, a broken rock, fringed with
light foliage, rises majestically out of a group of trees that adorns
its base : its topmost pinnacle is denominated Wild Cat Tor, and from
its craggy summit a noble landscape is displayed".
Ebenezer Rhodes, writing in "Peak Scenery" nearly
one hundred years before this photograph was taken, thus describes
the magnificent limestone Tor in the southern part of Matlock Bath.
Wild Cat Tor is now known as Cat Tor and the hotel he referred to
as Saxton's Hotel was The New Bath.
Bottom left can be seen the Royal Hotel; it stood on
land where the Old Bath Hotel had been in Rhodes' time. The Royal
Hotel was to function as an hotel for a further sixteen years after
this photo was taken, and during the First World War it served
as a hospital for Canadian Army Officers. The front of the hotel
was destroyed by a disastrous fire on 1st April 1929, although
the section with the three dormer windows in the roof lasted until
the 1950's. By then it had become very dilapidated.
Behind the Royal Hotel is Holy Trinity Church and tucked up amongst
the trees on the hillside on the right is the Old Pavilion.
of the Old Pavilion & Royal Hotel
Portland House and the mews behind are almost mid picture, with
what was Walker's Hotel originally and later the Bath Terrace just
behind it. This building was taken over by the New Bath
Hotel and eventually demolished. The New Bath is the furthest building
away from the photographer, visible just above the Old Pavilion.
On Derby Road, opposite the junction with Clifton Road is Clifton
Cabin, a small shop that sold spar and later mementoes connected
with the Cumberland Cavern. It became derelict but has been renovated
in recent times.
There is more on site information about Cat Tor:
of the Peak, 1840. See The Southern end of the Dale
are pictures of the Old Bath Hotel, which preceded the Royal
Hotel, in the 19th century section of images
Also photographed by Mrs. Tinti