Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21stC Images> This page
Holy Trinity Church, Matlock Bath, 1940s
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 
Holy Trinity Church
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Churches
Find a Name


Youth Hostel, Matlock Bath, 1960 - the First Vicarage



Dyson & Clough's garage



Cumberland Cavern




Photographers



Stanley Clough would only have had to step a few feet out of his garage forecourt to take this picture of Holy Trinity Church and pick his moment when Derby Road was deserted. On the right, opposite the entrance to both Clifton Road and the New Bath Road, is a small cabin where tickets for the Royal Cumberland Cavern could be purchased. Rock, sweets and refreshments were also sold there[1].

The incumbent at the time was Rev. Arthur Phibbs (1877-1954) who lived at the vicarage in Brunswood Road. He left the parish in 1944, after serving in the parish for about ten years.

The same picture was printed in the Matlock Guides of the early 1950s.


Holy Trinity Church, Matlock Bath - Memorial Inscriptions in the Church
Holy Trinity Church, Matlock Bath - Memorial Inscriptions in the Churchyard
Finding the Churchyard Inscriptions
Matlock Bath Burials, 1845 - 1866
Matlock Bath Holy Trinity Banns, from 1846


"Matlock Bath". S. B. Clough.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ken Smith. Researched by and © Ann Andrews. Intended for personal use only


References:

[1] Recollections of the late Mr. Frank Clay, from private papers and notes owned by Mrs. Doreen Buxton, some of which were written in 1992 and are still within copyright.