Looking towards High Tor from Dale Road.
On the left is the gateway and steps up to the Parochial
Hall. To the right is quite a large parking area that was
owned and managed by Matlock Bath District Council, roughly
opposite where the Copper Beeches are today. There are
two gateways in the boundary wall (lower centre of the
photo) which would have led down to the river. At least
one of them was blocked off with barbed wire.
The large sign board displayed a range of the Council's
Parking Charges. To the
right of the sign is a charabanc and a group of people
were buying tickets, possibly from a man seated beside the
vehicle. The stones just in front of this, beside the main
road, are where the old water trough was. The trough was
filled with water for the horses; there was also a dish underneath
for smaller animals, such as sheep, to drink from. After
the road was widened it was taken to Cromford Wharf
where it remained rather forgotten and neglected for some
time. Fortunately, it was moved more recently to the part
of Derby Road where Dyson
& Clough's used to be and is now filled with flowers.
There is a warning lamp on the lamp post, but the web mistress
is not quite sure why it was there.
Car enthusiasts might be interested to know that the car's
registration number was DX 7381, and this was
issued in Ipswich in either 1927
or 1928. There
seems to be a motor bike next to the car, too, mostly hidden
by the stone wall.