Dyson and Clough's Matlock Bath Filling Station on Derby Road
had been originally owned by Mr. Leblanc Smith. He sold
it to Dyson & Clough in 1930 and they subsequently
The garage replaced some old buildings called Win Tor that
were between Bath Terrace and Derby Road. A postcard on
this site shows the Win Tor buildings partly demolished
- see Matlock Bath
from Cat Tor.
Stanley Beecroft Clough, one of the two owners of the garage,
was born in Horsforth, Yorkshire, in 1898.
His father was a Commission Wool Merchant and he and his
wife moved to Guilderoy (west) some time before 1932,
presumably bringing Stanley with them. The top photograph,
which dates from the 1930s, almost certainly shows Stanley
Clough behind one of the petrol pumps on the forecourt.
Clough's partner at the garage was Harold Dyson.
Their company, Dyson and Clough Limited, was eventually wound
up in 1965 and liquidators were appointed on 23rd September
of that year.
"Appointment" card dating from before 1940.
Enlargement of the picture on the Appointment card
Harold Dyson and Stanley Clough are standing behind the motor
cyclists, slightly right of centre.
They are both wearing what would have been a coat / overall,
possibly light brown.
Below is a photograph of Matlock Bath Filling Station, also
dating from before 1940
The photograph shows the corner of the old Hartle's
building, which was demolished in the 1930s.
The final photograph is of Harold Dyson