The couple, standing on the riverside path with their dog are
believed to be Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Buxton, who owned and
operated the Derwent Gardens pleasure grounds.
They are near the Café, which looks newly built
- there aren't even the curtains at the windows that are
shown in the next
image. The new building would have replaced the Dining
and Tea Rooms at the Ferry House run by Bill Boden, which was
demolished when the Kursaal was built.
Dwarfing the café is the main building
of the Switchback Railway. The wooden steps up from the Gardens
to the start of the Switchback can be seen behind the Café.
After Mr. Buxton died his son Harold ran the Derwent Gardens.
They "functioned quite well in the 1920s, the grounds
were well cared for, the ponds stocked, the trees were beautiful,
peacocks nested in the trees and displayed themselves on
the lawns. When we were children their cries and appearance
enchanted us. Think of lovely spring days. We would gaze
down to see the newly painted boats, see the chairs and tables
out on the lawn, even the slot machines being brought out onto
the seaside pier construction that was the Switchback".
|References (coloured links are to transcripts and information
elsewhere on this web site):
 Herbert Buxton, who died in 1912,
is found in all the Matlock Bath census returns between 1841 and 1901.
His son Harold first appeared in the
1861 census, aged 1 month. The Buxton family appear in
both the nineteenth
century trade directories and the twentieth
century trade directories for Matlock Bath.
 The Royal Assent was given to
the Bill and the Matlock Bath Improvement Act became law on
4 August, 1905. This meant that the Local Board could compulsorily
purchase some Matlock Bath properties so that the Kursaal
(New Pavilion) could be built. Both the Fish Pond Stables and the
Ferry House were demolished to make way for the Pavilion.
 Recollections of the late Mr.
From his private papers and notes owned by the web mistress,
some of which were written in 1998 and remain copyright.