Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21stC Images> This page
The Derwent, Matlock Bath - and the Ferry, 1908
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 
Hadfield Cubley's painting of The Derwent, Matlock Bath
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
"Just" Images
Matlock Dale
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Find a Name


The Ferry House



Church and Boat House, Matlock Bath



The Heights of Abraham, from the Derwent, 1904


Biography of artist

Cubley's "The Derwent, Matlock Bath" was painted from a vantage point just upstream from the ferry that crossed the River Derwent, so close to the back of where is now The Grand Pavilion / Mining Museum. The Ferry House, demolished about 1910, is the building on the right. The painting includes the ferryman and his passengers; he stands in the boat to pull on the ferry rope that is stretched across the river. He would be taking his customers across to The Lovers' Walks are on the left bank.

A Ralph Tuck & Sons "Oilette" [Regd,] Postcard 1660. Art Publishers to their Majesties the King and Queen.
Posted on 9 Nov 1908 in Rochester New York and sent to another New York address. The message, unrelated to the card, was "Dear Cousin Have found work and am quite contented".
The postcard had the usual side bar for the card's title and message that was part of all postcards produced in the first decade of the twentieth century but has been omitted to present a slightly larger image.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Information researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.