An early twentieth century postcard of the Ferry House. The
picture provides a good view of Matlock Bath's "middle"
ferry which had been operating for many years. The ferry
itself was a smallish craft - the name "Derwent"
is on the back of the boat next to the landing stage as it was
the boat used for the ferry - and there was a guide rope about
six to seven feet above the river for the operator to pull on.
In earlier times this rope was made of hemp,
which must be the case here as the rope is tied to a tree on the
right hand river bank. It was later replaced by a wire rope.
Mr Bill Boden, who ran the Derwent Gardens Café "was a resident
of the Ferry House which was situated at the rear of the Pavilion
nearer to the boat landing which was demolished in 1910 or
so to make way for the Pavilion".
The card's sender was clearly enjoying themselves as the
message on the back reads:
"Staying overnight. Had a