This could be one of the earliest postcards of the Fish Pond and
the Pavilion behind it. It was probably dates from the 1910-1914
era. The spire of Holy Trinity Church is in the centre of the
picture and the Royal Hotel above the wall bordering the
main road, although it isn't very easy to see.
There are no fish food dispensers beside the pond; these were
a later addition. Like the later postcard, of The
Fish Pond & Pavilion, the old milestone can be seen close
to the pond's water inlet or overflow.
A large sign board was mounted on
the stone wall below Temple Road, opposite the Pavilion or Kursaal
as it was then called. Next to the sign are some small, old buildings.
The two white doors were public toilets and the building closest
to the viewer was the booking office for Mr. Furniss' Cab Company
in 1911. He was using the stables at the Fish Pond Hotel at that
time. There is certainly a very small window in the front of the
building which would have been the ticket window. These buildings
are also shown on the next
image, which dates from a similar time.
In addition to the pages about the Fish Pond
in this section (click
"Next", top right, to view them) there
is an additional image in
the "Just Images section.