of the Fish Pond are taken from a different angle, with the
Grand Pavilion (now the Mining Museum) as a backdrop, so
this photograph is unusual as it shows the row of three
shops on the opposite side of the road that are next to
the Fish Pond Hotel (not in the picture). The slot machines
by the Fish Pond's railings, shown on the extreme left,
dispensed fish food for the visitors to feed the goldfish
with. A penny bought a small boxful of dried grubs or shrimps.
The large building at the far end of the pond was for many
years Boden's Restaurant. In 1929 a major fire
on the premises meant that the building had to be demolished
and where the building had stood became part of the Grand
Pavilion's car park. So the picture here pre-dates the 1932
postal date by several years.
Whilst the photograph below is perhaps not showing the building
at its best, as the facade is covered with scaffolding poles
and boards when it was taken, it shows the shop in this parade
that at one time was run by Harry Gill. Mr. Gill was perhaps
during his lifetime as being a local photographer and collector.
In the postcard above Gill's shop is slightly obscured but
was the left one of the three in the little parade, behind
the man standing next to the fish food dispenser. In the
1950s and 60s the other shopkeepers were Tommy and Connie
Lound, who sold toys and newspapers, and Mr. and Mrs. Bert
Gregory who sold chocolates and sweets in the shop at the
far end at what was known as the Beehive Cafe. Tommy Lound's shop was a wonderland for small children;
he specialized in electric trains and for some years mounted
exhibitions in the Grand Pavilion.