Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21stC Images> This page
Matlock Bath from Cat Tor
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 
Postcard of Matlock Bath from Cat Tor, dating from about 1905 - 1910
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Find a Name


Nineteenth Century Engraving



New Bath Hotel (2)



Derby Road, Hartle's Bazaar



Woodland House



Matlock Bath Today (5)



This lovely coloured postcard, taken from the top of Cat Tor, dates from the late nineteenth century and shows Derby Road and the New Bath Hotel. At the very bottom of the photograph, which is enlarged lower down the page, is the roof of the former Matlock Bath School with the rear of the houses of Woodland Terrace alongside the school. Their gardens slope down to the edge of the River Derwent. Both the houses and the school are built against the hill, so they appear to be smaller in height from the main road than they are in reality. We can also see the end of Woodland House and some of the properties that bordered the driveway up the the New Bath hotel but were demolished when the A6 was widened in the late 1960s. Further along the riverbank is the Derwent Gardens and the Switchback Railway can be just seen next to the river.

The New Bath is one of Matlock Bath's oldest hotels, of course. In the gardens is a huge tree - the outdoor swimming pool was eventually built in the area next to this tree. At the far end of the garden is what used to be the Bath Terrace or Walker's Hotel; by 1903 the two hotels were under the same ownership. Holy Trinity Church is further along Derby road, towards the centre of the village, and behind stands the relatively newly built Royal Hotel. The hill in the distance is the Heights of Abraham and the white building high on the hillside is the Upper Tower.

The houses at the top of Clifton Road include Dovedale House, home of Mr. Rowland of Matlock Bath school, and the house where the web mistress lived as a young girl. On the same level as the houses is the domed Old Pavilion, known as the Palais Royal. The Old Pavilion was made of glass and was opened in 1884 by Lord Edward Cavendish. It featured a terrace that was 228 feet long and had extensive landscaped grounds. The entrances were from Clifton Road, now blocked up, and Temple Walk. A band performed twice daily at the Old Pavilion throughout the season.

A sepia version of this card was one of the very first images included on the Matlock and Matlock Bath website and can still be seen on the site.


 
Postcard, "Matlock Bath from Cat Tor", is one of the Valentines Series, No. 17465, first registered in 1892.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.