Holme Road, Waterloo Road, North Parade,
Fountain Villas and Derwent Terrace, as well as properties
adjacent to the Pitchings, are all on this postcard, which
possibly dates from the 1920s. One clue is that Oban, a house
on Waterloo Road, was built some time before 1916 and that
property is shown here.
Just above point of the telegraph pole, on a large building
on North Parade, are the large letters of a sign announcing "Victoria
Hotel and Restaurant". The sign is also shown
1912 postcard, photographed by Caletta Tinti but is
not on the postcard of Matlock
Bath in the 1890s. The Victoria Hotel and Restaurant was
run by Arthur John Bates, who described himself as both
a Hotel Manager and a Fruiterer Shopkeeper.
The proprietor of the Devonshire Hotel, on the lower right
of the picture, was William Thomas Hill in 1911, Alice
Hill was in charge in 1912 and William Freckleton
was at the Devonshire by 1916.
The front of the group of buildings between road
and river were not easy to photograph because the road was
very narrow at that point. They were to be demolished
in the road widening of the 1960s. Also gone is Spring Cottage
which was one of the of small buildings between Waterloo
Road and main road.
Next door to the Devonshire Hotel there
is a building, with a sign just below the roof.
It reads: "Hodgkinsons Hotel Stables".