image of Jubilee Bridge (above), the coloured postcard slightly
lower down the page and the black and white version at the bottom
of the page were first published by Valentine's in 1907.
"In 1887 an iron bridge of 85 feet span was constructed, at
a cost of £230, connecting the promenade with Lovers' Walk,
and at the same time the Promenade was laid out at a cost of £700".
It was made by the Butterley Company and was described by Benjamin
"a light iron openwork bridge" ... "supported on
The iron bridge was placed in position on 14
June, 1887 in time for the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria eight
days later. It was an immensely significant event for the village
as, until then, the only access to the Lovers' Walks had been by
it was being erected there was a minor drama: "On Tuesday
morning, while workmen were engaged in preparation for the erection
of the new iron bridge, one of their number missed his foothold
and fell into the river. The Derwent at this point is rather deep,
but a boat was put off to the man's rescue, and he was lifted in
and conveyed to the bank, not much worse for the immersion".
To celebrate the Jubilee itself, when the whole county was infected
with celebration fever, beacon fires were lit on Masson at 10.00
p.m. on 22nd June, 1887 and a total of thirty-nine were visible
from there on surrounding hills.
Untitled [Jubilee Bridge and Derwent, Matlock
This third version was published in snapshot format rather than
as a post card and shows us a little more of the river as there
are boats tied up on the river's left bank. In early 1906 higher
railings and hedging were introduced along the promenade's boundary
with the main road; the new fencing and young plants can be seen
in all three pictures. There is a slight mark on the third image,
which can be seen in one of the fields of Upper Wood, but this
must have occurred in printing as there are no other differences.
Even the smoke rising from the chimneys has been checked to ensure
it is identical in all three pictures!
If these images are compared with the Postcards
of Matlock Bath, about 1890 (elsewhere on the website) you
will notice that additional houses have been built in the Upperwood