Three images of the Georgian New Bath Hotel, taken shortly
after the Second World War. A bush or small tree unfortunately
obscures some of the frontage in the top image. However, the
second image provides a clear view of the façade
as well as a better reflection in the hotel's pond. The third
image also shows the front of the hotel; Bath Terrace is on the
right of the building.
The New Bath was the second hotel to be built in the village.
Mr. Isaac North was running the establishment in 1758.
He was followed by William Lovett in 1867 and George Saxton took
over in 1788. His
son, George Withers Saxton, succeeded him.
In 1852 it was described by William White as: "pleasantly
situated at the South end of the Tufa
Terrace, owed its existence to the second hot spring, that
was discovered some years after the Old Bath. It has been enlarged
at various periods, and now forms three sides of a quadrangle,
and is a large and commodious establishment, with beautiful grounds".
When Miss Ivatts and Mrs. Jordan took
over the management, five years afterwards, Francis White thought
it was "a spacious building, replete with every comfort".
Just under fifty years later, Benjamin Bryan commented on the
hotel and its bath. "The "New Bath" is situate within
the area of the Hotel to which it has given its name. This hotel
is finely placed, has been thoroughly modernised, is luxuriously
finished, and admirably managed. The bath, however, is very old
fashioned. It is built of heavy masonry, with a low arched roof,
almost in the foundations of the western wing; but although it
has all the advantages of constant current, even temperature, and
curative properties to be found elsewhere, it is not much used
Ward Lock Guides of the 1920s and 1930s also described the original
bath, although the first sentence is somewhat confusing. "The New
Bath, so called because the date of its discovery was later
than that of the Old Bath, flows through the bath room of the New
Bath Hotel. This bathroom is in the basement and is held by
some to be an old Roman bath. The roof is a perfectly rounded arch
and there is sufficient volume of water for swimming. This is probably
the best place for realising the heat of the thermal
water, the rise in temperature on entering the bath is very marked".
Perhaps the modernisation Bryan referred to included changes to
the front of the hotel in the late nineteenth century which can
be seen on the modern building. An 1888 advertisement from Thomas
Tyack's time at the hotel announced that the building had been
Window mouldings, of painted stucco, were added above and around
the window frames whilst the sash windows were made up of four
panes of glass instead of the two shown in
mid nineteenth century
images. Quoins were also added to the corners of the building.
The hotel sign eventually went from above the first floor windows
to a long sign on the edge of the roof, although this is no longer
on the building today.
There is more about the New Bath Hotel
Through the Centuries: Arrivals at Matlock Bath, 1820-1850.
European Royal families and nobility, British politicians, academics,
clergy, members of the British aristocracy and upper and middle
classes of society. Some of them would have
stayed at the New Bath.
about a fine incurred during World War 1
1. Top post card. "New Bath Hotel, Matlock Bath" published
by The R. A. Postcard Company Ltd of London, Foreign, No 10378.
Image shown on Michael Portillo's "Great British Railway Journeys" on
BBC2 on 25 January 2010.
2. Second post card. "New Bath Hotel, Matlock" published
by Photochrom Co Ltd, Tunbridge Wells, Kent for Trust Houses Ltd.
3. "New Bath Hotel, Matlock". also published by Photochrom
Co Ltd, Tunbridge Wells, Kent for Trust Houses Ltd. Not posted. A
pencilled note: "Lunch Sunday 12th May '52" is on the back.
All three postcards in the collection of, provided by and © Ann
Researched by and written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
links are to transcripts and information elsewhere on this web
Public Notices & Announcements,
1758, 1767 and 1788.
 "Gazetteer and General Directory of Sheffield,
and all the Townships, Parishes and Villages Within the Distance
of Twenty Miles Round Sheffield" by William White,
published Sheffield, 1852.
 White, Francis (1857) "History,
Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Derby ..." pub. Francis
White & Co. Sheffield. See lists
of names in the on site transcript
 Bryan, Benjamin (1903) "History
of Matlock - Matlock, Manor and Parish" London by Bemrose
& Sons, Limited.
 Ward Lock & Co's "Matlock,
Dovedale, Bakewell and South Derbyshire", Illustrated
Guide Books of England and Wales (1932-3), p.35-6
 Tyack's advert, published in Black's
Guide, can be see on Matlock
Bath, Derbyshire - The Switzerland of England