This is a lovely view of the New Bath Hotel, one of Matlock Bath's
oldest hotels and where people came for the medicinal properties
of the water. It is probable the photograph dates from the 1930's.
Certainly, there's no sign of an ash tree on Clifton Road that
the web mistress used to climb in the 1950's. There are other
clues that the picture was taken before the Second World War.
For example, the building at the bottom of Clifton Road
that was once Hartle's had not been demolished. The remains
of the Royal Hotel can be seen on
the right of the photograph, above Holy Trinity Church. Most
of that hotel had been destroyed by fire but one wing, which
was a twentieth century extension, remained; the building became
Cars are parked outside the New Bath hotel's main entrance, at
the side of what had been the stables and also on the grassy area
of Bath Terrace. There is no sign of the railings which fenced
off the grass earlier in the twentieth century. The hotel's gardens
are quite extensive. They grew their own vegetables in the plot
next to Clifton Road. The swimming pool, built in 1934, looks very
new and there is no water in it, so it was either being cleaned
or was not quite finished.
During the nineteenth century the management of the New Bath hotel
was in the hands of just a few individuals.
George Saxton and his son George Withers Saxton advertised
in various directories from at least 1823 until 1855, and are
known to have been at the hotel from 1788.
The hotel was often referred to as "Saxton's" in their
day. Miss Ivatts & Mrs.
Jordan moved to the hotel in 1856.
Thomas Tyack, a Cornishman, was the manager for about eighteen years
from about 1877 and
in his time there the hotel was known as Tyack's New Bath Hotel.
His lease expired in early 1898 and he auctioned the contents.
The New Bath Hotel Co. Ltd. was then formed by the company who
took over the hotel,
and appointed a new manager. Bertram
Clulow was still the manager in 1901,
although he didn't stay long. The hotel's license was transferred
to Robert Rimmer,
who remained at the hotel until 1907. Miss A. Ward (1907) then
took over, followed by Miss Edith Lakeman (1909, 1911 census),
Mr. R. A. Page (1912), John Nobile (1916) and John E. Atkinson
(1922). Mrs. E. G.
Kent was Manageress for a time.
In 1927 Robert A. Mace was the Manager and was succeeded by Charles
Herbert in 1931;
John W Barker also served as Manager. The list is incomplete, but
since the 1930s there have been many other people who held the
license and ran the hotel.
There is more about the New Bath Hotel
links are to transcripts elsewhere on this web site):
Century Trade Directories - transcripts are on this website
Public Notices & Announcements, 1788. Also see Derby
Road, Woodland House, the Saxton's final home.
 See a
stereoview dating from the Ivatts and Jordan era
 There's an advert, dated 1888, for Thomas
Tyack's New Bath Hotel.
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 26 February 1898 announcing the auction to take
place 14 - 19 March. Mr. Tyack went on to run the Royal Hotel
for a time before moving away.
1899 Directory for Matlock Bath. Also see Kelly's
1908 Directory for Matlock Bath
of 1901 Census of Matlock Bath
Times and Chesterfield Herald", 11 May 1901. Mr. Clulow
was reported to have gone south and he has accepted a better appointment.
 Various names from the "Derby
Daily Telegraph", when the license transfer was announced
(transfer year mostly in brackets), and the 1911 census.
Bath Business Letterheads. Mrs. Kent took over the license from
the late Mr. Atkinson in 1923, but it was reported that she'd been
running the hotel for two years.
There is more on site information about
& Matlock Bath Guides - the New Bath featured in many nineteenth