Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21st Century Images> This page
Matlock Bath: New Bath Hotel and Cat Tor, 1930s
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 
New Bath Hotel, with Cat Tor behind it
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Find a Name
18thc and 19thc Tour Guides have historical info about the New Bath

A view of the back of the New Bath Hotel, taken from the footpath beside Garforth on Clifton Road. The path goes up the hill past the Cumberland Cavern and leads to Upperwood. There are some excellent views from here if you turn round once in a while as you climb the hill.

The picture shows the hotel's tennis courts and outdoor swimming pool as well as the kitchen garden and greenhouses. The limestone cliffs behind the hotel are part of Cat Tor, with Hagg Wood below.


The greenhouses are partly hidden from view behind a wall that served as a "warm wall" on which peaches were grown, according to the head gardener, Mr. Legg (2018). The glasshouses do not appear on the 1880 OS map, although two smaller buildings are on this map, but can be seen on one for 1899[1]. They had been demolished by 1969 as a new wing had been added to the hotel. There is a somewhat dilapidated building with a chimney on the viewer's side of the wall which perhaps served as a boiler house for heating the greenhouses.


There is more about the New Bath Hotel
   
          

 

Postcard of "The New Bath Hotel, Matlock" [sic]. Published by Photochrom Co Ltd, Tunbridge Wells, Kent for Trust Houses Ltd. Not posted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.

References:

[1] National Library of Scotland: OS Six-inch England and Wales, 1842-1952 and OS Plan 1969 1:2,500. See Old Maps on our Sources page for links.