By chance this photograph records a small part of some major
changes that occurred in Matlock Bath after the Matlock
Bath Improvement Bill became law in 1905.
When the Promenade was improved for Queen Victoria's Golden
Jubilee in 1887 the low boundary wall between the road and
the Promenade had been topped by low railings.
The new Act gave Matlock Bath and Scarthin Nick UDC additional
powers and included allowing them to charge for some of
the recreational facilities they provided. With such easy
access to the Promenade whilst it had low railings the Council
clearly had to do something to ensure the facilities made
some money and the solution was to install much higher
railings as well as limiting the number of entrances. During
the winter months of 1905-06 the original railings were removed,
as shown here, in preparation for the more elaborate railings
that were later installed in readiness for the 1906 season.
The Promenade was at its narrowest here. On the far right
are two stone blocks at the entrance to the Jubilee Bridge,
which the Edwardian visitors would have to cross to access
the Lovers' Walks so a gateway was installed opposite the
Looking further down North Parade the first building on
the left is the Albion Temperance Hotel, at that time run
by Mr. and Mrs. Albert Graves.
Their restaurant would have enjoyed a good view of the Promenade
and riverbank before the new fence was put in place.